Chapter 15: Caught

Kiera filled up gas and was on her way to the local cops to see if there was anything they might know about this gang. She was not sure where to go. What to do exactly? She drove south of west of the subway she was in minutes before. She met the father of one of the kids from the gang. And she was half correct. The poor man didn't know about his son's whereabouts. He was honest and seemed genuinely kind. She liked him. A good man.

She stopped her car in front of a small deli and got out of the car and locked it. She walked to the front door and was about to open the door when a person from the inside opened it before her. He looked like he was about nineteen or twenty years old and looked like he had a foul mouth. He dressed like a person that would be in the gang, pictured by Kiera. She got in after he went out. The guy completely ignored her and walked away not even looked at her. She looked back just as she entered.

She looked around the deli and smiled. She liked how it looked. It was small. And she learned that the smaller they are the better. The taste and smells of food made at small places makes you hungry even if you are not. You would want to eat it even after eating a full meal. She was feeling like this. She went up to the counter and smiled the old man, who looked Mexican or Spanish. She knew some Spanish. Her mother was from Spain and she lived there for about four years of her teenage life. Her mother died of lung cancer two years ago.

"What would you like young lady?" The man at the counter said smiling.

She smiled back and said, "Do you have those corned beef sandwiches?"

"We sure do, hot or cold? The man asked.

"Hot." She said this in Spanish. Hoping that he might be from Spain or Mexico.

"Good choice." The man smiled replied in Spanish.

The man went back and shouted in spanish. He then went on to the other people waiting to buy sandwiches and other things. Kiera heard the little bell ring when the door opened. It was the same person who went out when she entered in. She stared at him but the young man didn't bother looking back or even the slightest of a glance.

"Rafael, the bread was soggy as hell. I need another one." The young man shouted harshly.

"Where is the sandwich?" The man at the counter asked back.

"I ate it, but it was soggy, so I need you to give me another one." The eighteen year old said.

Kiera listened on to what they were both saying and shout at each other. She also heard some swearing. The man who works at the deli was much older than she or the young man who came in barging. It was no way to talk to him like that. After the man left with aother sandwich in his hands. Kiera looked at the man behind the counter who was swearing in Spanish of some which she understood.

"Here it is." The man said giving her the sanwich covered in aluminium foil which was hot and smelled of heaven.

Kiera smiled and took the sandwich in her hand and said, "Who was he?"

"Just another teenage boy with a heart of black emptiness." The man replied.

"Do you know about any group or gang here."

"Yeah, there is only one in this area. The young man whom you just asked about is in it. Usually, they all come in here together and they do the same thing he did just minutes before. If it goes on like this, I will lose buisiness before my dauhgter gets married."

"Do you happen to know where he lives?"

"Yeah, I do." He seemed confused for a moment. "Why does a pretty young lady like you want with them."