10: The Fire

"[Name]-chan, where have you been? I was starting to worry!"

You'd grumble, "Sorry, Obachan, I'd sort of run into an obstacle!"

The older woman soon glanced towards the flame-haired man standing beside you as a content smile crossed her face.

"Oh my, you must be the demon slayer hired to eliminate the demon that's been attacking our village." She questions.

Kyojuro bowed. "I am, madam! My name is Rengoku Kyojuro, and I am the Flame Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps." He greeted.

The old woman's brown eyes widen at this. "Oh ho, the Flame Hashira! Well, now this is a surprise. Come, let me get a good look at you." She motioned for him to step closer.

Kyojuro, though a bit hesitant, did as told and kneeled in front of the wise woman.

"It's okay, young Rengoku. I won't bite! I'm Fukasawa Otsune, by the way, the shrine priestess of Kazahana's temple." She introduces herself while placing a hand on his face.

Her wise brown eyes examined him closely as gentle, aged hands caressed the red streaks of his hair.

"You're most certainly living up to your title. I can see you're genuinely compassionate and have a strong sense of justice within your heart. A kind and fierce soul who's willing to protect the weak and encourage the strong." Otsune says, removing her hands.

"Just what I expect from a Hashira! I've met many demon slayers in my youth, and you possess a lot of great potential. Though something tells me you didn't come all this way just to get a reading from me." She smiles at him.

"Hmm, you seemed to have been struck by love." She added and then glanced towards you.

"I assume your little tricks didn't work on this one, eh, [Name]?" She grins.

"He wouldn't stop pursuing me!" You scoffed while blushing slightly.

"But wasn't it you who followed me, my love?" Kyojuro said matter-of-factly.

"Shut up, and I'm not your love!" You exclaimed, trying to save face but failing because you blushed even more.

"Ah, so that explains it!" Otsune says this before glancing back at Kyojuro.

"You must forgive [Name], young Rengoku-san. You see, she has a very special "gift" that allows her to manipulate the cold and snow, and she's been using it to keep people away. You're by far the only visitor I've had in months." Otsune explained.

"However, you don't seem at all bothered by [Name]'s curse. Why is that?" She questioned him, but already knew his obvious answer.

"It's because [Name] has bestowed my heart, and I wish for nothing more than to marry her!" Kyojuro says it excitedly.

"Y-you cannot have a yokai as a wife." You protest.

"But you're a human, my love." He said.

"S-shut up! I'm not marrying you!"