09

HARRY STYLES

Elise and I both take the liberty of changing into new clothes in the mall bathrooms before setting off again. She's wearing a plain white cropped tee with high waisted mom jeans and black converse and I opt for a fresh pair of black ripped jeans with a faded grey Rolling Stones shirt. I bought her a lot of clothes; I don't know why I guess I felt like I owed her that after uprooting her from her old life. There's not enough of me that feels guilty, but I do feel something.

We have some coffee and then get back into my car, careening down another highway in silence. My arm hangs out of the window and between my fingers is a cigarette which I bring to my lips occasionally. The taste of tobacco quickly drowns out the coffee aftertaste. Sunglasses are pushed up into my tousled hair and at multiple intervals, I check the time on my wrist watch.

"Why are we going to the gas station?" Elise perks up, "Your gas is full." Her eyes are trained on the illuminated gas gage behind the steering wheel, she's right. My tank is full. I bite on the inside of my cheek because I was hoping she wouldn't notice that. Of course, she has to make things complicated.

"We are going to commit a light gas station robbery. Don't freak out." I say flatly. At first, she must think I'm joking because she bursts out laughing, but as soon as I don't respond, her face falls.

"Wait, what? Like seriously?"

"Like seriously." I nod.

She doesn't explode like I expected, just takes a few steadying breaths and stares at me with her big green eyes. "But aren't you rich? Why would you need to do that?"

There are a few reasons, but I only voice one to her. "Since you'll be accompanying myself and the boys on these trips for a little while, until we can ensure your safety from the Rivals, you're going to need to know how to commit robbery and act under high pressure situations." I flick my cigarette ash onto the road before bringing it to my lips for a drag, "Consider this training, and payback to us for saving your ass."

"But I don't want to commit crime, Harry. I don't want to go to jail," she protests, crossing her arms over her body and dropping her head down in defeat.

"You won't go to jail if you're with me, and think of every crime as a medal. You've committed several over the past few days without even realising it, you've already collected lots of medals."

She runs two stressed hands through her hair, "Okay and what if I don't do it?"

"Then you can get out of my car and have fun with the Rivals. And if you even think about running then remember I'm the one with the gun and you're not," I grin and I hear as her breath catches. Watching the fear subdue her makes me oddly excited, it's probably wrong. I think she's being a little ungrateful after our shopping spree.

We get to the gas station and I park up, pulling out two bandanas from a duffel bag wedged between my feet. I wrap the red one around my head and then hand Elise a black one which she ties with shaky fingers. I pat down my waistband for my revolver and tuck ammunition into my pocket before turning to Elise, speaking through the thick fabric across my mouth. "The goal is simple; we just need to get whatever's in the cash register. I'm not giving you a weapon but I have one so if you're compromised then just scream the words... grape soda? And I'll be there. I need you to scope the perimeter whilst I do the threatening bit, but as soon as I tie up the workers then I'll need you to come in and stuff as much cash from the register as you can into this duffel bag. After that I need you to run to my car and put the duffel in the trunk. Easy?"

She nods steadily but I can tell despite the bandana across her face that there is a lot of apprehension in her. "Just like a movie," She murmurs to herself, picking up the bag. She's evidently succumbing herself to a dream like state so that she can go through with what's happening. It's a smart method.