Baby Steps

FRIDAY 4:28PM
Drew's Point of View:

"Drew! Catch!" Liam shouted across the field. I caught the ball and kicked it back to Liam. Jake on my left turned to me asking "Hey Drew, after football practice are you up for ice coffee? It's fine if you are busy!"

To be honest, I was supposed to be doing my history assignment, but I never really got time to hang out with Jake as much as before, so with no hesitation I said "Not at all! Henry and Liam too right?" "N-No...could it just be us?" Jake was stuttering. I was so confused, i'm so glad that they weren't coming though, being alone with Jake is just so....so wonderful.

"Of course, Jake" I smiled and he turned away from me instantly. Did i do something wrong? "A-are you okay Jake?" "Oh yes I am fine!" he said with a nervous smile. Something was up with Jake...

Jakes Point of View:
When i heard that Drew wasn't busy, a weight lifted off my shoulders and thought this was my chance. I wasn't going to tell him everything, but the main thing. Baby steps i guess. Seeing him smile made me blush, I turned away instantly so he wouldn't see. I hope he didn't get the wrong idea

4:57PM (NO POV)
Henry's Mom pulled up in the carpark and texted Henry that she was ready to pick up him and Liam. Both Henry and Liam failed their drivers tests. Jake as well as Drew just got their P plates. "Okay guys, i'll see you on Monday" Henry and Liam walked to the car and Jake and Drew stood there awkwardly.

Drew's Point of View:
"Who's driving?" I asked. "O-oh I can Drew, I do not mind" Jake replied smiling. I smiled back but was so confused. I assumed he had something to tell me, I was just hoping it wasn't what i thought it was.

I entered the passenger seat of Jakes car crossing my fingers he wasn't going to confess to dating Daisy, I know he's been wanting to be with her for years. It hurts thinking about it.

Before Jake started driving he connected his phone to the car and pulled up his Spotify. "Any requests?" he smirked. "I don't care" I jokingly rolled my eyes. He laughed and shuffled a playlist.

I look at the car monitor to see the first song playing. YKWIM - Yot Club. It felt like i was in one of those cheesy romance movies, but the song was calming.

We continued to drive around town and I turned to Jake to see he looked as though he was going to cry. "Jake?! Is something wrong?!" I ask with paranoia. Jake instantly pulls over and takes a deep breath. "I was going to wait until we got to the cafe, but I don't think I can hold it in..." Jake looked down nervously. I have never seen him like this, it was frightening. "It's fine Jake, you can tell me anything" I face him and he lifts his head up and looks me in the eyes.

"Drew...the truth is...um...."

I didn't know what i was in for. I dreamt of him confessing his feelings for me but I knew it was too good to be true.

"Well t-the thing is.."

"Jake it's okay!"

On the verge of tears, he blurts out.

"Drew I-I'm Gay! I tried to throw you off by saying I liked Daisy so you wouldn't know! I'm sorry..."

"Jake..."

We went silent. A tear ran down Jakes face. I see a tissue box under the console and reach for it, giving him a tissue to somewhat comfort him.

"I'm sorry i didn't tell you..."

"Don't be sorry Jake"

I take a breath. Should I come out too? This was my only chance.

"W-well Jake"

He turns to me intrigued. I quickly decide whether i do it.

"Never mind." I couldn't do it. Soon.

"Drew?"

He looks at me as if he knew what was coming next. I look down in embarrassment.

"Are you okay?" Jake asks gently

"Well, I-I guess. It's just um..."

He gives me the look as if he's trying to ask if i'm going to say the same thing. I just nod.

"Drew? Do you like boys?"

"You got me. I'm bisexual Jake" I say quietly.

With no hesitation he hugs me and I hug him back. Jake felt warm, I felt safe.

Jake's Point of View
I couldn't believe that Drew was too, I wouldn't be surprised if he pushed me away from the hug. He hates anything affectionate, he squeezed me tightly and rested his head against my shoulder. It was great.

"We can still get iced coffee if you're thirsty" I giggled. "That sounds great" Drew replied.