Mother

Time began to move quickly, it felt like. Months with Damon slipped by too soon and months with Vansius were spent avoiding him in fear. I grew closer to Ambrozia during these times.

As time wore on, the life inside of me grew stronger and stronger until it was only a matter of time before the baby was born. Surprisingly, Vansius left me alone. He must have taken my threats seriously and wouldn't risk stressing me when I was due so soon.

Finally, I made it back home where I hoped the baby would make their appearance. The house I shared with Damon had changed one month when I was away. He added a new bedroom on the ground floor for us, as well as a nursery. Other wolves said he'd been unbearable while the work was being done, insisting that it be finished before I came back.

I loved it.

I sat in the nursery, holding a stuffed wolf that had been lying in the crib. The little one inside of my kicked as if they were angry at me for touching their toy.

I placed my hand on my belly and tried to think of something to say. I never really met my mother, so I didn't know how to speak to a baby. Worry began to spark in my head. What if I wasn't a good mother? What if I didn't have any maternal instinct? All I'd ever known was the cold life of an omega. I wasn't  equipped for this.

My fingers stung and I realized that I had twisted the toy into knots in my hands. I released it and stroked its fur instead, "Please don't be disappointed." I whispered, "I know you didn't choose me, but please be patient. I will do everything I can to be a good mother. Just give me a chance."

I like to imagine their response was a resounding 'yes' as that was the exact moment they decided to show themselves.

🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺

It was midnight when my son took his first breath. He was so small. His skin was the color of snow and his little ears came to delicate points. He was a vampire.

It wasn't over with his birth, however. There was another. My daughter waited until dawn. She was bigger and stronger. She already had a tuft of hair, black like Damon's. She was a werewolf.

I laid down to rest and Damon sat beside me, cradling our son in his arms. Beta had his twin.

"Look, sister." She handed me the baby and I pulled her close to my chest, "She's a strong warrior. Like her father."

Damon smiled and stroked her soft cheek. Then he did the same to mine, "You did so well."

The baby in his arms began to cry out, his voice small and weak. Damon shifted him into my arms beside his sister, "I think he misses you. He's..."

I curled up around them. I knew what Damon was going to say. The elephant in the room was that the girl was Damon's... and the boy wasn't. He was obviously the son of Vansius. I remembered what Damon had said, but it was just words then. What if he changed his mind? What if he only loved one?

Damon lifted his legs onto the bed and lay down next to me, so that we surrounded the babies, "He's the firstborn of the Alpha. He could become an Alpha himself. If he wanted."

The weight of the world lifted from my shoulders. Of course Damon didn't care. He'd already made up his mind. This was his son. Nothing else mattered.

Beta looked at us and coughed, "Well, I shall go announce the good news to the pack and- er... leave the four of you to some family time."

We fell asleep like that. Our children between us, safe from the world they had been born into.

Short update. Sorry!

Babies!!!