Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Ch. 03: Hear Me Out

I should've known something was wrong when her crying never stopped

I guess I should've known something was wrong when it did a few hours later, and silence ensued. When the last bits of sunlight retracted their bright fingers from the sky, freeing me to move, Quinn was nowhere to be seen.

"Quinn?"

I stared at the little mound on her grave. Jason planted something under the earth, and it wasn't flowers. It radiated with pretty energy and glinted a little, half-hidden by dirt. Perhaps it was a personal item.

Why didn't we notice it before?

"Quinn, Jason left something here for you. Where are you?"

Watchers moved, grinding granite filling the night air. I stood, staring at the grave that used to be Quinn's favorite place to stay. Now it was empty, save for her decayed remains.

Dirge ran to my side, tail wagging, a stick in his mouth. His granite hackles rose when he sensed my energy. With a low whine, he dropped the stick.

"Not now, boy. We have to find Quinn."

"Five minutes into the night and you already lost your charge?" Angelica mused beside me. "Not to mention you broke the rules and spoke in daylight. You are lucky Maria didn't hear you."

My head dropped an inch.

She stretched her wings. Rock-like particles poured from her frame in a cascade of gritty dust. She shook herself out. Jessie York, her charge, pulled herself up from her casket and gazed up at me with amused, steel eyes.

"Such a rebel, right? I was too. It was the death of me," she said, showcasing a grin full of broken, yellow teeth. Angelica nodded in agreement. "And that's why it's taking me so long to cross over—I'm still bitter about my death. Your spirit, Quinn, is obviously put out about somethin'. I saw 'er go to the west gate—but minutes before the sun went down. You might want to go get 'er."

"Thanks, Jessie."

"Try to be more careful," Angelica soothed. She put her hands on my face. Even though her hands were calming, it did nothing compared to Jason's warm, electric touch. The thought made me shiver. "Promise?"

I bit my granite lip. I appreciated her kindness but secretly loathed her perfections. Quinn wasn't even my first charge—and yet, to Angelica, I knew nothing.

"Promise."

I held her hand in mine. When I was about to turn, a scream pierced the air, causing ravens to flee from the shadowy haven of the willow trees.

From the way my stone heart clenched like a fist, I knew, by instinct, that my charge was in danger. I ran toward her screams, passing other Watchers. Growls reached my ears, stirring doom deep within my soul.

Reapers.

Dirge gained and was beside me, lunging over gravestones.

"Quinn!" I shouted.