The Country in the North - Chapter 9

It took a few hours until they reached the border to the north.
Night was already falling.
Although he hadn't expected it, the border was more than clearly visible. The one huge wall stretched over the whole view.
Higher than he thought and armed with cannons over the entire length.
The closer they got, the more nervous the soldiers stationed on the walls looked.
They hurried along the wall like ants, it almost seemed as if they were preparing for an attack. All wore metal armor that protected their bodies.
That was clearly visible even from a distance.
His hands were starting to shake, not from the cold. If these people attacked them, they would all be dead in a matter of minutes.
Still, their formation continued to advance at walking pace.
Without deviating from the path.
When he suddenly saw a large group of about two hundred men approaching them.
They also wore armor and were all on horses. He strained breathed in and out .
They were only a few meters away from them when Liz stopped the formation.
Slowly she rode away from them until she stood across from the other leader and started talking to him.
It took what felt like an eternity until she got back in line.
Now they rode after the soldiers in the direction of the border. He looked back briefly at the volunteers, who exhausted took one step after the other. They would not be able to hold out this march much longer.
After a while they reached a large gate that was open. The great wall that they now crossed, behind the soldiers of the north, was about fifteen meters wide. There was only a huge snow-covered area behind it.
Apparently the soldiers stationed here lived inside the wall.
He felt the suspicious looks of the men and women who were stationed directly at the gate.
All had their hand on the hilt of their swords. Ready to attack as soon as either of them made a wrong move.
But they could pass the wall without any problems.
However, they did not ride further north afterwards, but west along the wall.
Up to a large building that was built directly on the wall.
There was already a thick blanket of snow on the roof.
It didn't take long until they reached the building with their people and some soldiers took their horses from them. The other soldiers also disappeared in the white of the snow.
Only three remained.
Now they all stood in front of these people and Liz literally bowed to them. So did the others, including him. "Welcome to the north."
The smallest of the soldiers greeted them and stepped out from behind the other two.
"You can rest here this night."
He pointed with his forefinger at the building next to him.
"Thank you very much, General Rumex."
Liz replied and immediately headed towards the main building. He too was trotting after them when suddenly the figure of the general appeared.
"You're new."
He noticed, Damian looked up and looked into the brown eyes of the man in front of him.
"Yes," he replied and saw a smile appear on the man's face.
"Take good care of yourself, young soldier."
Now he avoided him and disappeared with his entourage.
Yawning, he finally entered the house, the warmth hit him in the face. Satisfied, he put his gloves in his coat bag and pulled the hood off his head. "Welcome to the north wall."
A young woman greeted him with a smile.
"Thank you," he replied, but without managing a smile.
"Where can I find my room?"
The woman continued to smile at him friendly and gestured for him to follow her.
They walked briskly through the narrow, candle-lit room.
His knees ached from long riding and his eyes almost closed.
As they passed next to a door, he stopped with a jerk.
A piano could be heard from inside. The familiar tune of Liz song was played, tears welled up in his eyes, her voice sounded desperate when he suddenly heard a frustrated scream.
He quickly went back in the direction of the nice lady. Which now also continued.
"I feel sorry for the corporal." She said quietly and opened the door next to her.
"What do you mean?"
"Oh, she is so young and ...", she paused and looked at the floor.
"And?"
He entered the room behind the woman and closed the door.
"Your fate is not easy as a mercenary." She just said, opened the door and disappeared.
So he looked around the room, there was already a candle burning in it. But the room had no window and was only sparsely furnished.
Aside from a bed, there was only an old desk and chair.
No pictures, or carpets, just the bare essentials.
You didn't need more as a traveler. Wearily, he put his coat and sword on the desk chair.
Before he blew out the candle and lay down on the bed and tiredly closed his eyes.