1 - Lagos

———*•*———
chapter one
LAGOS
———*•*———

Rayna bit into her turkey sandwich, gazing over the brim of her sunglasses at the surrounding cars driving down the road

"Alright, what do you see?" Steve's voice came through her comms.

  "Standard beat cops," replied Wanda Maximoff. This would be her first real mission with the team since Ultron.
   Steve was obviously testing her to see how sharp her skills were.

"Small station," Wanda continued. "Quiet street."

Rayna stared at her sandwich, narrowing her eyes at the sight of a bit of brown on her lettuce. She tore it off before taking another bite.

"It's a good target," Wanda stated.

"There's an ATM in the south corner, which means.." Steve spoke through the radio.

"Cameras," Maximoff finished.

"Both cross streets are one way," Steve continued, speaking his thoughts aloud.

"So, compromised escape routes," Wanda added, finishing his words.

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?"

Rayna turned in the direction Steve had said and spotted the car.

"Yeah, the red one?" Wanda turned while sipping from a mug. "It's cute."

Natasha, who was sitting a few tables in front of Rayna, began to speak through comms while raising coffee to her lips.
   "It's also bulletproof, which means more private security."

"Which means more guns," Rayna joined in softly, covering her mouth in a fake yawn. "Which means more pew pew and more headaches for somebody. Probably us."

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" Wanda asked.

"And I can move things...physically..." Rayna muttered.

Natasha advised them, "looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature."
  Her gaze fell on Rayna as she turned her head, or at least that's what Rayna thought. She couldn't actually see Nat's eyes because of the sunglasses she wore.

"Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" Sam asked through comms.

Rayna scoffed.

"Not to my face," Natasha replied casually. "Why? Did you hear something?"

"No," Rayna mumbled, her mouth filled with food. "But I did see something. This beautiful turkey and lettuce and tomato sandwich is glorious beyond explanation."

Steve cleared his throat. "Eyes on target, folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him."

"Don't worry, Cap," Rayna said a little too loudly. "We'll get him."