Chapter 15: Sometimes it's better to mind your own business

A/N: The second hand embarrassment I experienced while creating this chapter has taken 5 years off my life. It better be good or my life has been shortened for nothing. Lemme know lmao

Also I'm changing bestie's pronouns to she/they from now on since the person bestie is based on uses a neutral pronoun so I thought that would be better.

Happy pride month <3

___________________________________________________

We met outside the mansion at 7:00, just as night was preparing to fall. The rain had stopped much earlier in the day, and a gentle breeze had taken its place.

By the time we got to the spot we decided to split up in, it was almost time for our mark to arrive home.

"Alright F/N, you go in through the screen door on the side of the house and y/n will cover the back. Everyone clear?"

We nodded our affirmative and Jeff gave Ben a handheld radio. F/n and Ben went ahead of us and waited on a fallen tree almost bordering the backyard.

7:45. Our target was late. It had been 20 minutes since we had gotten there and sitting in a tree gets uncomfortable.

Suddenly we heard Ben's voice through the radio. "Damn so like.... you've never been kissed before huh? I find that really hard to believe" he said smoothly. Jeff groaned and started looking around for the radio.

"Oh uhh... nah... I've only really been in one serious relationship and he ended up preferring men." F/n said lightheartedly. I snorted. I remembered him.

"Damn only one relationship huh? That's his loss for sure shorty."

I'm sure F/N is almost ready to lose it. Shorty? Hoo boy.

F/N laughed, "Well, a lot of people don't like it when their girl is smarter than them. Especially men. So..." Jeff was about to radio them to shut up, but I stopped him. I wanted to eavesdrop.

"Damn. Well I wouldn't mind being with a smart person. I'm kind of a feminist so I can appreciate that sort of thing." I slapped my hand over my mouth to keep myself from laughing and Jeff almost fell out of the tree with the force of his double take.

Agony. This conversation is agony.

Jeff just turned off the radio and we sat in bewildered silence at Ben's attempts at flirting. I cringed at the thought that the conversation was probably still going. We both attempted to make casual conversation to get the memory demons out, but it was just too painful.

I hope Ben isn't too upset when F/n rejects him. She hasn't even looked at a man in a while, I can't imagine that-

I looked back in their direction and my eyes almost fell out of my head. Ben had leaned over and was kissing them.

I misread this.

Jeff coughed and turned on the radio.

"Hey Ben? Is that him pulling into the driveway?"

The two jolted apart and I could see Ben scrambling for his radio.

"Uh.... yeah... he just pulled in. We'll let you know once he goes upstairs." They both sat completely still after that.

It didn't take long for the target to go upstairs and settle at his desk in front of a laptop.

"Alright. He's upstairs and busy. Should we wait until the sun is completely gone?"

"Yeah we need all the cover we can get." I responded.

"Okay, you and f/n will have to come up with some sort of plan to get this guy away from the window so you can take care of him without being seen by any neighbours. Me and Ben will be out here waiting for you two once you've cleaned up okay?"