🐄 14: "What Your What"

"We cut it close this time." Harry says to Zayn as soon as they step inside the building where Harry has his classes. "It's three minutes till six o'clock."

"Yeah. I know. I didn't count on traffic from the car accident. But we still made it on time."

"Yeah."

The stop when they reach the doors and Harry puts his hands behind his back while he balances on the toes of his big clunky boots.

"You're still gonna be right outside like always, right?"

"I intend to be. I found some online articles about redoing a deck. So I'm going to read them while I wait. Hopefully I learn something about how to redo mine."

"Okay, good." He says.

Zayn notices the apprehension in his tone and reaches up to put his hand under his chin.

"Listen, you don't have to ask. I'm not going to leave you here alone. I promise. If I do, you can like... I don't know. Slap me or something."

"No." Harry says immediately. "I don't hit folks. Although if you don't do as you promised, I might have to think of something."

Zayn smiles. "Don't worry. You won't have to. But you'd better get to class. You only have a minute or so left."

Harry nods. "Okay. I'm going. See you when I'm done."

Harry is out of the grip of Zayn's hand pretty quickly before he turns and heads towards the classroom. Zayn doesn't think Harry has even really considered the idea of kissing him goodbye before they seperate.

"I really do enjoy seeing the look on his face when he leaves a meeting." Zayn hears from behind him.

He faces the voice and sees Melinda sitting behind the sign-in table. She's next to a young girl who has the prettiest curly blonde hair.

"I'm sorry. What?"

"I was just saying each time he leaves these meetings, he's always smiling. I love to see that."

"Harry, you mean?"

"Yes."

Zayn shoves his hands in his pockets and walks over to the table.

"Well, he's very excited about the process. Has been from the very start."

She nods. "You know you can have the same smile."

That makes Zayn laugh. "I know what you're doing. Still trying to get me in that room, aren't you?"

"Not necessarily. I'm just saying the opportunity is also open to you."

Zayn shrugs. "Yeah. I know. It's just..." He is careful with the words he chooses knowing the little girl is there. "What if it's just not for me?"

"What makes you say that?"

"Lots of things. I mean there has to be a reason the thought of adopting or fostering has never crossed my mind, right?"

She holds a finger up and leans down toward the little girl with the curly hair.

"Rhea, why don't you go play in classroom B. I'll come get you in a minute."

"Okay."

The young girl gets down from her chair and heads off in the direction of the classrooms.

"Listen. You would be very shocked at how many people who are fostering right now that had no intentions of doing it before. That's normal. But sometimes things do happen. Plans change and we end up doing things we never expected to do. Trust me. I know from experience."