A Story

Athea took it upon herself to take care of the corny situation she was in. Talking to either one of them wasn't going to help. She decided to focus on some work. Luckily for her, fate had other ways to deal with her problems. 

"I never knew you were such a hoe-bag Aths. You're like with the best guys in school". Athea turned her head to that. Iris Waters. She had bent herself over at Athea's table. Her cleavage was right in front of Charlie and she stuck her ass out so that Ethan could get a good look. 

"Hey Iris! We happened to meet the other day, prior to school. Hence all the friendliness. That's all."

"Ew so primitive. Why do you talk like so boringly? Anyways boo, I don't care about you. You're gonna walk around with New Guy on campus and totally embarrass him. So let me take care of it, hmm."

"That sounds great Iris! Charlie, Iris will show you around campus. In other words, you're the luckiest man here!". 

"Ew just don't. I'll do the talking". With that, Iris dragged Charlie out of the class to supposedly take a tour of the campus.  Charlie just mouthed a sorry as he got dragged, to which Athea smiled sweetly in response.

"Jeez that was hella awkward. But now that stud boy is gone, I'm happy and you can explain things now Aths. But before that, are you okay? She said really mean things."

"Hmm I'm kinda used to it. Yeah, it did hurt a little. But it all cancels out because I know she's just jealous. She's had bad experiences, so I just accept her the way she is."

"Woah you're reaaaalllyyyy kind. She calls you a hoe and you accept her? I'm impressed"

"I'm not as nice you think. I have my ulterior motives. I could stand up to her , no problem, but I have dirt against her. If she ever crosses the line, she knows what I could do to her. I'm just waiting for the right time. Y'know , hurt her when she's already broken."

"That happened. Okayyyy. I really don't know what to say.... I just can't get myself to believe that YOU would do such a thing. I'm sure you wouldn't , actually."

"Then you'd be disappointed"

"We'll see about that. Anyways, don't you change the topic. Tell me what's wrong".

Athea contemplated her next decision. His last sentence sounded genuinely concerned. 

"You're not going to leave it, are you? Okay... well, I had a br-"

"Sorry for interrupting , but I just wanted to ask you to tell your story at once. I kinda suck at comforting people in the flow." she nodded.

"So I had a brother. His name was Connor. That day was hazy. But I remember that he died in front of me. Everyone told me it was a suicide, but something seems off about it. Nevertheless , who would kill a 16 year old? So I decided that it was my brain coming to terms with the situation. I was only nine. He taught me everything, how to not get caught, how to stay out of trouble, getting out of situations and a lot of other things like spotting liars, spontaneous excuses . You get the idea. He was more of a parent than my actual parents. I feel like I could've saved him. It happened in front of me. It was my sin. My first sin. After that I got wrapped up in getting over everything. I started hating on my parents because honestly, his death didn't affect them how much it should've. It's all good now, though. Eventually, I started looking at life as sins. Everything that caused shit was a sin. I soon realised that sins happened only because of changes. I started hating change, I fear it. I fear time and uncertainty, because there's no answer to them. It brings back the memory of him, the feeling of not having answers. So whenever I feel that way, I use pain to bring myself to reality. Pain is always there. It's a constant and that's why it's calming. What you saw the other day was a result of all this. Hehe. That's all. I know I went deep and said some creepy stuff there. You probably think it's drama. But it seems pretty real to me."

"Athea I didn't know it was that serious. I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have forced you into talking. But either way, I'm glad that you trust me. That aside, I really don't know what to say, or even think. Do you need help, y'know, for your mental health? I'm really concerned now. Damnit I can't even speak to your parents about this. I don't want you to go away. Do you know how dangerous all of that is? I mean... WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? Please promise me that you won't do this to yourself. I can't say that I understand what you've been through. But I'm very sure that I don't like it. I definitely didn't think it could be something so deep. I'm not gonna lie, I thought this was drama over a crush or something. But I'm really just dumbfounded now. I don't know how to make this okay. That said, I'll do anything to help. But for that to happen, I need your yes and your will"

Athea gave him a warm smile. His words were so genuine. He didn't say things like 'I dont wanna lose you' , 'It's gonna be alright' or 'these are just teenage feelings'. He just said the truth. and it sounded so nice...because he cared. Her going away would affect him. Her pain would affect him. No, it already affects him. She decided that maybe she should start confiding in him.

"Well, Ethan I-". A sound of high pitched giggles interrupted their conversation. Iris and Charlie had returned. The two exchanged glances as Charlie made his way through to them.

"Well that was the story of Connie" , she completed.

"Hey Athea, what's your full name?"  she gave a questioning glance to the asker.

"Charlie, you're back already? and to answer your question, the name is Athea Adelyn Nyx"

Charlie's eyes opened big as golf balls. His face had turned white. Ethan was just mad that he couldn't get a promise out of her and complete that conversation.

"Earth to Charlie? What's wrong with my name? You look like a deer in headlights"

"Ah well, I was just shocked at how unfamiliar it sounded haha...which reminds me, what's your ethnicity?."

She was confused at the sudden questions , but answered them anyway.

"Well I'm part Indian and part American . I don't know about the American part- my dad's part because apparently the whole family was married into different cultures. My aunt claims that we're majorly French, though. What about you?"

"Well I'm a 3rd generation Scott here. Mum and dad both. And you? idiot boy?" Ethan was shocked that he tried to have a conversation with him.

"Well I'm American"

"Jeez you duffer. We're all American. I'm talking about where your ancestors are from. Have you not read world history?"

"Watch your tongue. And I don't know about my lineage as most of the family was separated during war."

Athea broke the awkward silence with a fit of giggles

"You guys are such big babies. You look so dumb right now"

"Hey who are YOU calling a baby?"

"Yeah you're the short one"

"Okay so now y'all are getting along at the price of me being insulted? GREAT" , she said in between a fit of giggles. The atmosphere sure thinned out, but the three of them had a lot of thinking to do that day...