17

"So, do you think he'll like it?" Harry asked.

"Are you fucking kidding me? You made this? It's awesome. It's a whole fucking football field, players and all. Thank you, Harry. He's gonna absolutely love it!" Louis answered and wrapped his arms around him.

"You really think so? I've been so nervous." Harry said.

"It's amazing. You are amazing. I can't believe you did all this." Louis replied softly and looked deeply into his beautiful emerald green eyes, noticing how Harry's pupils grew, making his heart beat faster. Harry was looking at him like that, but it didn't scare him anymore. He pecked his lips and let go of him before the kids walked in to find them.

"Thank you. Let's light the candles now." Harry smiled.

Louis nodded his head and went to get a lighter. When the twelve candles were lit Harry grabbed the cake and they looked at each other and began to sing Happy Birthday while they headed to the living room. Elton sang with them as soon as they entered. Dominic's eyes grew wide when Harry put the cake in front of him.
"Cool. You made this?" He asked and looked at Harry.

"I did." Harry smiled.

"It's great. Thanks, Harry." Dominic said and Harry looked so happy that Louis had to contain himself not to kiss him senseless. Instead, he picked up his phone and took pictures when Dominic blew out the candles.

They all clapped their hands. Harry went to pick up Darcy who was crawling out of the room. She was getting fast. Louis laughed softly and went to get plates and presents. He returned and handed the presents over and started to cut the cake. Harry also had a present and gave it to Dominic.
"You didn't have to do that." Louis whispered quietly.

"I wanted to. It's not every day you turn twelve." Harry smiled and Louis wanted to kiss him again.

Dominic opened presents at the speed of lightning and made small shout-outs when he saw what was inside.
"Thanks, Dad. Thanks, Harry."

They sat down to eat cake. Louis put Johannah in his lap and helped her to eat so she wouldn't make a mess.
"This cake is so good." Elton complemented with his mouth stuffed.

"That's because dad didn't make it." Dominic smirked.

"Heeeey! Well, true. They're here soon to pick you up for the movies." Louis said.

Dominic shuffled the last of his cake in his mouth and got up to get ready. Ten minutes later there was a knock on the door and Louis went to open it. He greeted Noah's mother who had agreed to drive the boys to the cinema. Gabriel's dad would pick them up.
"Hi boys, excited to go to the movies by yourself?" Louis asked.

"Yes, Mr. Tomlinson." Noah answered.

"Well, it's Dominic's treat. He'll pay for the tickets and candy." Louis said just as Dominic entered the hallway.

He opened his wallet and handed him some money.
"Have fun and behave."

Dominic rolled his eyes.
"Yes, Dad. Bye, Harry!" He shouted.

Harry came into the hallway.
"Have fun!"

When Dominic had left Louis turned to Harry.
"And so they were only five."

"Come on, Elton and I are gonna build the solar system. I found this amazing kit when I went shopping for Dominic's present." Harry smiled.

"That's so sweet of you." Louis cooed, and yeah, he just wanted to kiss him. He pulled him further into the hallway and crashed their lips together. The kiss was short. Harry smiled and stroked his cheek before they headed to the living room. Harry had cleared the coffee table of plates and cake and they took a seat.

Louis took care of the smaller ones while Harry and Elton bonded over a building kit. Louis watched them interact and found himself getting emotional. Losing Olivia had been devastating in so many ways and one of the hardest realizations was that no one except him would care about their kids in the same way as they had. No one would get equally proud when they did something great or love them as much as they did. Watching Harry with Elton gave him hope for the future. Harry might have a big enough heart to love his kids unconditionally as well, with time. His eyes fell on Darcy who was currently sitting in his lap. He would do that too if it came to that. He would love her as his own. He wouldn't make a difference between them.

But now he once again skipped a couple of steps. He and Harry weren't a couple. He didn't know what they were but that was okay for now. They hadn't even had sex yet. He wanted to, but it also made him nervous. What if Harry was a top? Was he ready to be the bottom? What if it hurt? He decided that he had to ask him when they were alone.

The opportunity presented itself later that evening. Dominic came home from the movies and he was really happy. Harry had put Darcy to bed a couple of minutes prior so he listened to Dominic while Louis put Johannah to bed. An hour later both boys had called it the night as well and they were alone in the living room.
"I have a question." Louis started off.

"Okay? I'm listening." Harry answered and gave him his full attention.

Louis blushed a little.
"Ehm, I'm just wondering if you're a top or a bottom?" He asked bluntly.

Harry let out a surprised laugh.
"Straight to the point, or should I say gay to the point? I like both, but I guess I'm more of a bottom even if I like to switch it up once in a while."

"Alright." Louis smiled. He was relieved.

"How about you?" Harry questioned.

"Oh, I never...I'm definitely a top." Louis answered.

"Okay." Harry smiled.

Louis thought about it.
"But I'll keep an open mind. I would like to try bottoming someday, like, not now, but in the future, with the right person."

Harry was staring at him extensively but he wasn't gonna reveal more than that. To divert his attention he leaned forward to kiss him and they ended up horizontal on the couch.