─ 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

[04|| chapter four]
a woman well
worth her salt

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

━━━━ THE CROW CLUB was the same as it always was.

         Full of obstreperous men, women with wicked grins, and the rattling of coin bags. The light in the building was dim and yellow, washing the gamblers in the warm light of a sunset that never ended so they were unaware of the time that passed, and never wanted to leave its four windowless walls. So similar to the day she first set foot passed the threshold, and all the ones after that. Familiar.

         Eadaz saw someone move out of the corner of her eye as she pulled the hood of her coat down. Her hair tumbled across her shoulders in blonde and brown braids, her eyes rimmed with kohl and glitter. As soon as her face was revealed she heard a heartbeat close in behind her, an arm settling across her shoulders.

         "You should know that I am still a little angry that you've betrayed me, Not Prissy." Jesper said, pulling her to the bar easily. He demanded two shots. "I don't usually trust people enough to partner up, and the one time I've opened my heart it turns out she's not what she says."

         Ead grinned at him, sliding her arm around his waist as if they were long time friends. Technically, Jesper was the closest thing she had to a friend. An occasional drinking and gambling partner who's relationship with her ended when she left the doors. It was true that they trusted one another during games more than anyone else when they played together, but she didn't really know how that started.

"Haven't you learned not to trust anyone in the barrel?"

         "Apparently not." Jesper chuckled, sliding a shot to her. "But I was too blinded by your beauty to see through your lies."

          Ead laughed as he lowered his head closer with each word, rolling her eyes as she took the shot glass in hand. "That's the point, my dearest Jesper. It'll hurt for you to hear this, but you're easy prey. I don't blame you, as you're merely a man. And all men... suck, plainly put."

          "I love it when you talk down to me," Jesper sighed, before they clinked glasses and threw their shots back. He winced, but she barely made a reaction, letting the alcohol take its time sliding down her throat.

         The flirting was nothing new with Jesper Fahey. He'd done it since the first time they spoke to one another, but never physically acted on his words. Ead knew it was just his nature to be flirty, to jest, and she never minded much anyway. It wasn't as if any of the men in Kerch gave her that type of attention anyhow. They were always vulgar in a way that made her feel dirty and hated when she put her foot down. Ead was too powerful for them, in other words. Jesper loved her for being who she was, and often claimed he'd worship the ground any powerful women walked on.

         "Boss is waiting upstairs." He said, looking down at Ead as she placed her shot glass back on the bar. "Would the lady need an escort, or would she prefer taking herself?"

         "A lady never needs an escort," Eadaz said with feigned coolness. "But occasionally she wants one. Just... not today."

         Jesper gave her a gentle smile, motioning to the staircase in the back with his head. "Alright then, get going, or i'll have to bring out the big guns."

         He sent her off with one last wink. Ead fought her grin down as she made her way through the Crow Club with her head held high and was glad for once that no one else could hear her heart.