Ooo, who's Maya?

Chapter 2- (DANIEL'S POV)

Maya cleared her throat behind me as we silently made our way to my apartment. She opened her mouth before shutting it and shaking her head. I smirked and shook my head.

"What?" Maya asked.

"Oh nothing," I said as I dug through my pockets for my key.

"Wait!" Maya said, nervously wringing her hands together. I raised an eyebrow and motioned for her to continue. "Are you sure this is ok? I don't want to intrude on anything. Plus, I barely know anything about this condition. I don't think I'm the best person to come and look at your sister. Also for all I know you could be a gangster and kill me, leaving my body in this apartment with the other victims. But wait, that would make you more of a serial killer. Oh, and let's not even get started on-" 

I chuckled interrupting her rambling. "Ok, are you done?" I asked. Maya nodded her head and took a deep breath.

I fumbled with the key, unlocking the door, and motioning for Maya to go inside ahead of me. I watched her look around my apartment with curiosity and then saw her eyes focus on one figure. The figure, who happened to be sitting on the couch, narrowed her eyes directly at me. I gulped which made the figure smirk. They cleared their throat, before speaking.

"I hope you know, Daniel, that you are running very late tonight. I hope you have a good excuse, brother, 'cause you had me worried sick!" The seated figure worriedly stated.

"I'm sorry, Rose! I wasn't able to get your medicine. He screwed me over again. But I found someone who can check you out." She turned around and looked at Maya, then looked back at her eyes narrowed.

"That still doesn't excuse you for disappearing for hours, without telling me," I rolled my eyes at her antics and plopped down next to her on the couch. I sighed and gave her my best puppy eyes. She gasped and stopped narrowing her eyes," That's not fair! You know I can't stand your puppy eyes," she embraced me tightly. We broke our sibling bonding from the sound of laughter.

"So, who's this pretty lady, Dan?" Rose questioned while smirking at me. I laughed and introduced Rose to Maya. The girls then went into Rose's room so Maya could perform the check-up there. Without the "annoying pestering" from little brothers, as Rose put it.

I sighed as I plopped down on the sofa. If Rose only knew how long she had left... The last time we could afford to go to the doctor, he estimated she had three years left. That was more than three years ago. I could tell she was losing strength daily. She stopped cooking for us, I had to take that over about four months ago. I also had to quit my job so I could stay home and care for her. 

The slamming of the door brought me out of my negative thoughts, I smirked instantly knowing who it was. "Diego, don't slam the door!" I yelled at my younger brother, who had just gotten home from work and the first day of his junior year in high school. Diego threw his bookbag on the ground next to his shoes and tumbled to the living room. I pointed at his stuff on the floor, knowing Rose would hate that. He huffed and turned around, putting them in the correct spots, instead of haphazardly thrown around the room.

Diego, Rose, and I are inseparable. We're more like best friends than siblings. I mean, don't get me wrong, of course, we have our spats. That's mostly Diego and I. We spend hours just talking and messing around with each other. Diego slowly walked over and joined me on the couch. I ruffled his hair while sighing," How was your day?"

He sighed and fixed his hair," It was terrible. Did you know that school got canceled today because none of the faculty or teachers showed up? I also couldn't work because my manager wasn't there to open the doors. How was your day, bro? I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair as I thought of events from today.