1

I tightened my grip on the steering wheel, feeling like I could vomit at any moment. Marvin Gaye's 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' was taunting me through the radio as I sat, tears streaming down my face. My entire world felt like it was going to crumble into a million little pieces.

My eyes focused on my surroundings as I exhaled, now looking out of the window. The sky was tar-black and the large clouds were moving overhead. I heard a tapping on the roof that quickly became pitter-patter. Soon, people began to run for cover and umbrellas were opened as the clouds spat out beads of water. Puddles began plinking as the rainfall became heavier. The roofs of the cars danced with spray and I could hear the murmuring of the rain through the window, making the roads slicker than ever. I could easily veer off the road and run into some random brick wall-for some reason, I longed for that right now. Maybe death could make me feel better. The rain sounded like the buzzing of angry bees, similar to how I felt.

I knew my husband had sensed my urgency when I called him from work to discuss something. It took a little fussing but I got him to meet me at our usual breakfast spot, Marcy's. It was a little ducked off diner where we had our first date. A little pricey these days but much worth it.

Another sigh escaped my lips as I thought about Mateo. Confronting him about anything seemed to always turn ugly; he was an aggressive man when cornered or accused and I hated confrontation between us. I hated confrontation, period.

As I was walking inside, I was chewing on my freshly manicured nails as my eyes bounced around the diner, searching for my husband. Then I saw him, gazing over the menu. He was as handsome as could be with his square chin, full lips, neatly trimmed goatee and eyelashes that any vain woman would kill to have; his body as equally attractive. Mateo West was my sexy soulmate. And just that.

Mine.

I adjusted my cardigan and sat my rather large Tory Burch tote on the table with a slam before sitting down, deciding to not greet him. I wanted him to feel me. Snatching up a menu, I began to read. "Well, good morning to you too, honey." He scoffed at my rudeness. Guilt rushed me but I swallowed, mentally amping myself up.

I really wanted to get up and give him a piece of my mind. And maybe a slap in the face too.

"I wouldn't say it's good but hello." I hissed, watching as his expression turned to confusion then annoyance. I knew anger would be coming soon once I say what needs to be said and mentally prepared myself for his reaction. The last time we had a dispute, he had gotten so loud that our neighbors had called the police. But nonetheless, that was a long time ago.

"What's the matter? They didn't detail the Genesis right again?" He questioned, eyes still scanning over the menu. I knew that man like the back of my hand. He still was going to order the same thing. "Or you don't like your manicure?" I rolled my eyes as he reached for my hand. He made me seem like such a spoiled brat.

"No, Mateo." I growled, wanting to cause a scene. His eyebrows scrunched together in disdain at my 'sudden' attitude.

"Well, babe, what's wrong? I'm sure-"

"Drea called." I interrupted and he gulped, finally making eye contact with me. Though, it was quick, I still noticed the worried look on his face. "Yeah, that's right. At five in the goddamn morning too." I winced.

"Okay? It must've been about Alivia." Mateo referred to their daughter together; his first child. 13 year old Alivia. When we met, I was disgusted with the fact that he had evidence of his foolery with that slutbucket. But, Alivia was before I came in the picture, plus I would never get in the way of a father and daughter's relationship. One of the things that attracted me to him was how much of a good father he was, despite his financial circumstances at the time. It was her mother that I hated. Mateo shrugged it off. Smug bastard.