- Chapter 19 ~ {Nightmares and Nerves} ~ Scorpius's POV -

"When in doubt, go to the library." -Ron Weasley

...

"FATHER! FATHER NO!" I screamed, tears streaming down my face.

He called out for help, I ran, ran as quickly as I possibly could, but I couldn't reach him... the closer I went to him, the farther he moved away. I sobbed as he fell off a cliff.

Then a voice hissed into my ear, "You're a disappointment. Disgrace to the Malfoy name," it said.

"NO! NO I'M NOT- PLEASE," I pleaded, breaking down and crumpling to the ground. I heard my Mother shout and shriek, I heard Father yelling.

Mother suddenly appeared in front of me, her face bloodied, hands balled up in fists, eyes rolled back into her head, face a pale white. She fell, hitting her head on a rock, and I bawled, "Mother..."

A dark figure shouted angrily, and Mother lay on the ground, twitching, twisting-

I gasped, sitting up in bed, tear stains on my face. Whimpering, I curled up into a ball, rocking.

"Nightmare.. J-just a nightmare... " I whispered, my voice cracking, as silent sobs racked my body.

I fumbled around, grabbing a photo, and stared at it.

Mother grinned at me, blowing a kiss, and Father squeezed her hand, a half smile on his face as he looked at me.

I lay back down, the photograph clutched in my hand, as if it was a life-line.

But perhaps, I thought, as I breathed heavily, eyes shut tightly, perhaps.. It is.

---

June 1st was coming faster than any Snitch in the Wizarding World, the teachers were piling piles upon piles of work, Flitwick assigning us multiple essays on levitation, and fire making spells. Professor Longbottom made us study as much as we could on Devil's Snare, Forctis said to write 7 inches on Doxies, Apricus giving detentions to anyone who didn't turn in their work on Pluto, Vita scolding those whose pincushions weren't perfect. Even Binns, who normally didn't pay attention to homework as much as the other professors, strictly graded their papers on The Gargoyle Strike of 1911.

"5 points from Slytherin!" Vita had said, when my pincushion refused to have a pin placed on it.

"Bloody hell, you'd think I've just failed my entire life, the way she's acting," I said, frustrated.

"Too true, that is," Albus replied, shaking his head.

Studying, studying, studying, it was almost as if we didn't eat, sleep, or do anything except re-read our textbooks a million times. I found myself snoring instead of reading, utterly done with the large amounts of work.

I was starting to have horrible dreams, accompanying the already terrible nightmares I'd started to have about my parents. These dreams, thankfully, weren't as bad as my old ones, but they were still quite appalling. I'd dream that I failed all of my exams, got expelled from Hogwarts for my horrendous grades, and kicked out of my home, my parents thoroughly disappointed. Not to mention those nightmares in which my wand was snapped.. Or the dream where I was taking my Charms test, and suddenly figured out I was a Squib.

Exams nerves were racing about the castle, and even James Potter could be seen studying in the library. 5th Years who were taking their OWL'S, reviewed their study guides even at the dinner table in the Great Hall.

"Oh I'm so glad I still have 4 more years until that..." Airana had said, as we entered the Hall, finding the Ravenclaw 5th Years with their noses in books, not even bothering to eat or drink.

A market of so-called 'special' trinkets were traded and bought, (mostly by the 1st years,) these charms and necklaces were said to make you smarter, some students even attempted to make Liquid Luck, but it backfired horribly. (A 2nd Year girl, was sent to the hospital wing because she was so hyper that she nearly broke her dormitory floor from jumping up and down)

Things were getting a bit out of hand, to say the least...

---

Me, Al and Airana went to visit Hagrid whenever we could. Sadly, this wasn't often, as we were basically studying 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all the time. But when we did get the opportunity to visit him, it always turned out to be entertaining.

One evening after classes, Hagrid had asked us what we wanted to do in our older years, and Airana had immediately answered.

"An Auror! Playing a bit of Quidditch wouldn't be bad either..." She'd said.

But while Airana had answered promptly, me and Albus couldn't think of anything.

Actually, the problem was, there was simply too much to think about.

"I dunno... an Auror's great, Dad's one... maybe some other position in the Ministry? Or working at Hogwarts would be nice.. Maybe work abroad? No idea, really..." Al had said rather hesitantly.

"Neither do I, to be honest... " I say.

"Well, that's alrigh', a lot of wizards don't know, at first," Hagrid replied, smiling kindly. "You'll get help with it in your 5th Year, career advice an' all."

"Thank the gods for that, then." I say, laughing.

Airana and Al laughed along.

"I know what James is going to wanna be," Al said, after he stopped laughing. "He'll say Chaser for sure, probably brag about how he's going to be the best one, and get into good teams like Puddlemere United, or something of that sort."

Airana sighed, "Of course he would say something like that, it's James Potter we're talking about," She said.

Hagrid chuckled, "James certainly acts like his grandad, that James was always braggin'"

"Yeah... Dad and Mum joke that all the Professors including McGonagall got their retirement papers ready, when James entered Hogwarts." Albus laughed, "Seeing as his first two names, James Sirius, are of 2 of the Marauders, and then his third name is Fleamont, our great-grandad's, who was also a troublemaker, and then topped off with 'Potter,' and you've got yourself the biggest mischief maker there is."

"Sounds about right," Airana muttered.

"Why do you hate him so much anyway?" I ask her, "I know he's arrogant, but he's not as bad as you make him to be."

"Are you serious?!" Airana exclaims-

"No, but James's second name is," Al interrupts.

Airana paused, glancing at Albus, realizing what he said, then, "Clever. As I was saying.. James literally blew up the compartment I was sitting in, in the Hogwarts Express. You would hate someone too, if they exploded your compartment on your first day of Hogwarts, smirked and laughed, and teased you."

"I suppose..." I said.

"He did that?!" Hagird says, eyes wide with a mixture of shock and amusement.

"He sure did. And that's not even the only thing he's done-" Airana started saying.

After talking with Hagrid a bit more, and after finishing our tea, we left his hut, chatting, laughing, and as we went inside the castle, I noticed James, who was looking our way, smiling.

The thing is, I didn't realize he was smiling at one particular person...

...