Chapter I

I gaze out of the window of Wangshu Inn, the breeze blowing in my face. Why is it so hot outside? As I suffer in the sweltering heat, I think of Aether. He always hated the heat, and always made sure I knew how much he despised it. I wonder who he is complaining to now? I feel tears spring up in the back of my eyes, I need to stop thinking about him. I glance back to the window. Off in the distance I can see a small hilichurl camp. The inhabitants peacefully sleeping in the shade. In a daze, I slowly put my belongings in my bag.

"Traveler!" Bennett shouts as he bursts into the room, jolting me to my senses. "Come quickly! There's an emergency!"

I race to my sword. "What happened?" I ask.

"A whole colony of pyro slimes appeared out of nowhere! Because of the heat, everything is really dry, and a bunch of stuff got set on fire!"

As I run down the stairs I sigh and shake my head. How troublesome.

Once I reach the entrance, I can clearly see the chaos. Tables, chairs, clothing, trees, grass, all coated in flames. The culprits happily jumping around in the mess. There must be at least forty slimes! I quickly try to come up with a plan. I shouldn't use my ameno powers, they would just spread the fire more. Popping the slimes could work, if there were less of them, but they explode once popped, which would just make it more dangerous.

Lacking time and a better idea, I decide to use a tornado to carry all the slimes into the water, drowning them. It should hopefully cause only minimal damage. As I run behind the tornado trying to maintain it's damage to the grounds, I see someone with a cryo vision putting out some of the major fires.

I finish dealing with the slimes, then return to Bennett's side.

"That was scary, I'm glad you were here! I thought everything was going to burn." He gives me a big hug and nuzzles his face on my clothes. "I'm glad that you didn't get hurt too, I felt so useless, everything I tried to do made it worse."

I pat him on the head and hug him back. "I'm glad you came to get me so quickly, if you hadn't come to get me this would not have ended very well. Please don't blame yourself."

I hold Bennett in my arms until I hear a familiar voice calling my name. I reluctantly release him.

"Good morning Sir Kaeya. I did not expect to see you here."

"Sir Kaeya? Surely we're past such formalities, Traveler?" He whimpers. "You hurt my feelings."

I ignore his cries. "Me and Bennett are on an adventure together. We were just on our way out to find a treasure when the slimes attacked. Thank you for your help, but we need to set out before it gets too late."

"Oh? Really?" He questions. "But you only have a party of two? You should know from experience how dangerous adventuring is, Traveler. Perhaps you should bring another person with you?"

Before I could turn down his badly masked offer, Bennett spoke up.

"I think he is right, Traveler. It is really dangerous to go with only two, especially with my bad luck." He looks up at me with puppy eyes. I knew he definitely felt guilty for not being able to do anything about the slimes.

"Fine, Kaeya. I guess it would be safest if you came with us."

"Wonderful!" He says excitedly, "Then, where are we going?"