Chapter II

**Note: I changed to past tense, I found it was easier for me to write this way.**

In the morning, I awoke to the feeling of something tickling my face.

"Keaya! Stop it!" Bennett yelled, "You're going to wake her up!"

I opened my eyes to see the end of Kaeya's blue ponytail dangling in front of my face. My mouth moved into a frown.

"See!" Bennett said "Now she's gonna be mad at you."

"What?" I asked groggily. What in the world is going on? As I rolled out of my blanket cocoon, yesterday came back to me.

"Sorry, Traveler." Kaeya smirked, "Your sleeping face looked so cute, I just couldn't help myself."

"Stop it with those weird things you keep saying about Traveler Kaeya!" Bennett exclaimed, "Otherwise I'm gonna tell her everything you said last night."

"Oh? Wouldn't that make for an ... interesting conversation." Kaeya chuckled, "I'll tell her myself if that's what you want. I said --"

Bennett slapped a hand over Kaeya's mouth, silencing him.

"Just stop talking please." Bennett pleaded. He was regretful about inviting Kaeya to come along.

I stared at them silently. I was curious about what Kaeya had said to make Bennett act this way, but, knowing Kaeya, I had a pretty good idea what it might be.

"What time is it?" I asked, wanting nothing more than a change in topic.

"It's-" Bennett glanced at his watch, "8:57."

I jumped to my feet, we should have started walking two hours ago!

"We need to get going!" I said, while clumsily shoving my things back into my bag. If I wanted to find my brother, I needed to find what he was looking for first. Hopefully that would draw him out so I could talk to him.

"Don't worry," Kaeya shushed, "We already packed everything but your stuff. Bennett wouldn't let me touch it, and we made you some breakfast that you can eat while we walk." Kaeya looked straight into my eyes.

"We're going to find what you're looking for, Lumine."

I blushed and looked away. "Yeah, yeah, if you wanted to help me you should have woken me up earlier."

"But, Traveler, I did wake you up?" Kaeya laughed, "The hair in your face?"

I looked at him with dead eyes and a straight face.

Bennett helped me finish packing my things, and we set off. It wouldn't take us more than an hour to walk there, giving us the whole day to search for my brother's treasure. I ate my breakfast, a fried egg, as we finished our journey to Qingxu Pool. Me and Bennett walked a few feet ahead of Kaeya, we were both tired of his shenanigans.

"Traveler," Bennett inquired, "I know we are looking for your brother's treasure, but ... what exactly is it?"

I stiffened. 

"Well, the thing is, I don't know for sure what he is looking for, but I do have a couple of ideas. The most likely one is that he needs something related to the Geo Archon, Morax." I explained, "Before, he tried to use a statue of the seven as a catalyst of sorts for some type of experiment. Now I think he wants something with an even stronger connection to the archons."

"Your brother sounds scary." Bennett said.

"I suppose he does seem scary now." What happened to you aether? I thought sadly. He used to be so kind and gentle, he even felt bad about killing slimes. Now he was trying to destroy an entire world.

We walked in silence for a while, until the ruins came into view.

"Is that where we're exploring?!" Bennett exclaimed, his eyes wide with excitement as he stared at the vast ruins. I felt a bit hopeless while looking at the enormous amount of passages facing us.

"Where else would we explore? That tree over there?" Kaeya snapped.

Bennett looked annoyed. "I didn't think you were stupid enough to actually not know what a rhetorical question is."

"I didn't know you were actually smart enough to know what a rhetorical question is." Kaeya spit back.

I tuned out the bickering while looking up at the ruins. We had arrived near a small landing which we could use to climb up to the top. The main path was infested with monsters and looked as if it was about to crumble. While I scanned for the safest way up I saw a flash of gold out of the corner of my eye.

I quickly turned to look at it, but there was nothing there. I shook my head. There was no chance that Aether came here himself. I was hallucinating.

"It looks like there's only one way up. I think we should start looking at the top and work our way down." I said, interrupting their fight.

"You're the boss." Kaeya replied.

Bennett ran ahead. He was going so fast I was worried he would hit the wall in front of him, but at the last moment he leaped on top of it.

As I neared him I shouted "Wow Bennett! That was a pretty impressive jump!"

"It was nothing." He said, blushing. Bennett extended his hand to me so I could climb up next to him.

Kaeya pulled himself over the edge the way you would exit a pool.

"I feel left out. No one helped me up!"

Bennett looked him straight in the eye. "It's because you're both of our hight's combined. You don't need help, as you modeled for us a few seconds ago."

"Can the both of you stop for two seconds." I said rubbing my temple. My companions fell silent.

"Thank you."

As we continued along, fighting monsters and keeping our eyes peeled for any signs of the abyss, I realized how good of a team Kaeya and Bennett were, though it was only while fighting a common enemy. It was scary how fast we cleared our way to the top.

As I climbed the final ladder behind Bennett, he had insisted on going first to keep me safe, I felt my foot miss the last wrung. While I tumbled backwards, I shut my eyes and braced myself for the impact, but it never came. Instead I fell into Kaeya's arms, which he had extended to catch me.

"You better be careful Traveler. Or else you'll get hurt." He said with a smile. "I would set you down here, but I worry you'll fall. I'll put you down at the top, ok?"

I blushed as pulled me closer. My cheek was pressed up against his bare chest. Why couldn't this man just wear a normal shirt? I could hear his fast heartbeat as he climbed up the final stretch of the tower. It was making me feel much more bashful than it should have.

Kaeya pet my head as he set me down. Bennett gave me a worried glance. I gave him a thumbs up to tell him "I'm all good!".

"Traveler?" A voice asked from my right. With surprise, I turned to see who it was.

In front of me stood a strangely disheveled Zhongli and a blushing Childe.