Nighttime Visitors

I pull down my mask again and leave the room to get something to eat.

  "Hey kiddo, are you hungry?"

      I nod and look in the fridge. He pats my back and smiles.

  "What would you like to eat? It's almost dinner so whatever you want, I'll make."

  "I can make my own food."

  "She talks? Wow."

      I sigh and grab some batter, eggs, and uncooked bacon.

  "Go sit. I'll make you guys dinner."

  "But I'm the adult here, not you. I'll make dinner."

      I look over at him and lift my mask just above my mouth, pointing to the dining room table.

  "Go. Sit. Down."

      He nods and goes into the dining room while I cook dinner, humming a bit. Once I finish making pancakes, scrambled eggs, and bacon, I go into the dining room with multiple plates and set them down in front of everyone.

  "Pretty much just breakfast for dinner. Nothing special."

      I put my own plate down and fix my mask. I sit down and watch as Mark and my mom feed each other while ogling at each other. Gag me with a spoon.

~Flashback~

    "Look at her! She's hideous! And she can't do anything right! All I did was ask her to make me dinner and she fucked it up! What even is this?! Toast and butter?! For dinner? You little-"

  "Honey, stop it. Jesus, she's only 5. She's in one of the most important times for her development. Why would you ask her to make dinner in the first place, she could've hurt herself."

  "Oh shut it, old man."

  "Don't talk to me like that in front of our daughter."

      I stay in my seat at the table and watch as mom stands up and slaps my dad.

  "I don't need to listen to you."

  "Y/n, go to your room. Take your food and go watch tv, I'll be up there soon to tell you goodnight. Ok, princess?"

      I nod and go up to my room quickly, hearing mom start to throw things at my father. I close my door and lock it, trying not to listen to their fight but failing.

  "You're so useless! You couldn't even give me a good-looking child!"

  "Please stop... Our daughter is beautiful."

  "She should just have a bag over her head!"

  "Shut up! You can not talk about our daughter like that! You do realize she looks more like you than me, right?! You must just be jealous that Y/n is already so much more beautiful than you and she's hasn't even fully grown up yet! Now leave! I will not allow you to talk to me or my daughter like that! I've already failed to protect her from you so many times, she has scars because of you! Now leave my house!"