Chapter 2: Speak of the Devil

Amanita composed her shock quickly and let a smirk cross her face. "I don't know," she sighed. "I don't think I can help you. I have to get to classes, and..."

"I need to see her!" he demanded angrily. "Insufferable." 

"Who are you calling insufferable?" Amanita was outraged. "And why do you want to see m- Amanita anyways."

"Look," he sighed impaitiently. "It's none of your business. If you don't bring her here I'll get her myself."

"What if she doesn't want to see you?" Amanita scoffed. She sure as hey didn't want to see him! She turned, walking away at just the teasing speed.

He muttered quite an unsavory word beneath his breath, and Amanita could feel eyes burning holes into her back. He got up quickly, following behind her at a distance. Unwillingly, clearly- Amanita grinned as she led him back into Mr. Kane's classroom and closed the door.

"Ah, Ashton, is it?" Mr. Kane's golden-hazel eyes seemed to flash at the boy and Ashton straightened, eyeing him warily.

"Yes."

"Any last name?"

"No." Ashton narrowed his eyes at Mr. Kane and walked fluidly to the opposite side of the room. He looked upon the two of them in disdain.

"Amanita, you can sit down." Mr. Kane pointed to her. Ashton's jaw dropped and his eyes sparked with outrage as he glared Amanita down. The class eyed him interestedly, waiting to see what would happen next.

Amanita resisted the urge to smirk and instead took her seat, smiling smugly at the wall. Ashton's lip curled into a sneer as Mr. Kane pointed next to Amanita. Ashton just continued to glower at the two of them.

Everybody held their breath. Brett was perched on his chair like a monkey, swaying back and forth. Yes, this was the drama that would keep him thankfully awake! 

"Ashton," Mr. Kane boomed and his eyes glittered like two beetles in the night, "I am well aware of why you transferred. If you continue to be uncooperative, you know who will be on the receiving end of the consequences." Amanita looked up in confusion and then jumped a little as Ashton threw back the chair and sat down heavily, burning holes into the poor clock with his eyes.

And that was it. The class had begun again. Brett sank back into his seat in severe disappointment.

"When does class end," he asked through clenched teeth, the question clearly aimed at Amanita. She shrugged, not bothering to look at him. Damn, but he annoyed her. Why couldn't the new people be girls? Girls strayed away from her.

Suddenly, Amanita found his fingers beneath her chin, jerking it towards his face. "I asked you when class ends," he said coolly, and she could see arrogance radiating off of him. He was nothing short of blatantly attractive, something that rather annoyed Amanita. She narrowed her eyes, slapping his hand away.

"Ten till."

He looked somewhat proud of himself for drawing an answer out of her. His chin rested into his hand, and he wouldn't sit still. He was fidgety, looking at the clock, at Mr. Kane, at her. Amanita could feel the rays of hatred when he stared her down, and then blissful relief when he finally looked away.

Finally, the bell rang, and Anita stood, her hand held out.

He eyed it, and then sighed. "You know I can stand up on my own, right?"

"Your schedule!" she snapped, mumbling a quick "jerk" beneath her breath. She compared their schedules, and to her dismay, every class was the same. "Why do you... Why do you have all the same classes with me?"

"Go on, Ms. Zayne, Ashton. No time to be chatting after class." Mr. Kane ushered them out, his eyes trained fiercely on Ashton. "Do your job, and don't slack off." It seemed he was warning Ashton of something. "You make wrong decisions very easily."

"Shut up," Ashton hissed before Amanita, irritated by his antics, led him down the hallway.

"You can't talk to the teacher like that!" Amanita reprimanded. "Rude, disrespectful... Why can't you be a normal guy?"

"Because I'm not," he said bluntly, hands hooked in back pockets. Amanita rolled her eyes and nodded, huffing.

"Right, right, you're not normal. Good for you. At least you can admit it. Come on, let's get to English." She led him down the hall, her lips pressed into a thin line.

"What's so important about you, anyways?" Ashton mumbled. "Just cause your father was murdered and crap-" He stopped, eyes widening, and, cursing beneath his breath, snapped his head up. Amanita was staring back at him with terrified blue eyes. 

He felt like an idiot there. "Uh, listen-"

Amanita stepped back instantly, her hand held in front of her as if to stop him from nearing her. "Don't. Come. Near. Me."

He scowled at a distance, mind racing- There was little he could say without sounding near to completely tactless. Boy, was he screwed.

"How do you know what happened?" she demanded to know. "How do you know my dad is dead and how do you know he was murdered?" Her voice had lessened to a violent hiss, and Ashton knew he had to tread carefully.

"Look," he said in a cool voice- One that could cause no harm, hopefully -"How much do you know about your father's line of work?"

Amanita narrowed her eyes, and her arm didn't waver. "What does that have to do with anything at all?"

"It has to do with everything," he snapped blatantly, and then sighed again. Running a hand through his dark hair, he cast another glare upon her slightly trembling form. "Look, maybe you should sit down. We need to have a talk about everything that you don't know."