xv. a sinner and a saint

15. chapter fifteen!
a sinner and a saint.

trigger warnings:
flashback ch!! darkling (derogatory)

"What is power, Katarina?" Kirigan asked, rotating his wrist and the sword in his hand.

She shrugged. The sword in her hand felt heavy, it pulled on her wrist, she was sure her shoulder was going to hurt tomorrow too.

"Power is having the upper hand, being ten steps ahead of your opponent. How do we get power?"

Fear of disappointing him overwhelmed her once again, and she shrugged for a second time, her eyes focusing on the stones beneath her rather than him.

Then, she felt something sharp touch her chest, below her neck but close enough to her heart for her to be nervous. Looking up, her breathing hitched. It was the end of Kirigan's sword.

    "We get power by taking it."

    "Had fun with his royal darkness, then?" Zaria said with a smirk, from her left, Thalia on her right erupted into a fit of giggles before she was hushed by Ivan

    "Had fun with his royal darkness, then?" Zaria said with a smirk, from her left, Thalia on her right erupted into a fit of giggles before she was hushed by Ivan. He was never much fun without Feydor by his side.

"As always."

"Does he really think you're the sun-summoner?" She heard someone sneer from across the table, Zoya. "There's no way you're a saint, look at you."

"Oh, shove off it, Zoya!" Zaria sneered back.

Zoya smirked to herself, turning back to her food and whispering to the people beside her.

"She's not that bad once you get to know her." Thalia chirped, prompting both of her friends to turn to her with furrowed brows. "What?" She scoffed.

    "Really, Tal?" Zaria sighed, shaking her head in disbelief.

    "All rise!" A loud voice echoed through the hall and the Grisha did as they were asked. It was one of the King's advisors. "His Royal Highness Nikolai Lantsov requests the presence of one..."

The man opened up a scroll he had been passed by another advisor. He hesitated before he spoke.

    "Katherine Levitsky?"

Zoya snickered.

    "Katarina?" She corrected, eyeing the man nervously.

Why did the prince want to see her?

    "Yes! Katarina Levtisky! Come with us."

She silently excused herself from her friends and formed the glares from her classmates, the men led her down many corridors. Katarina wasn't even sure if she was still in the palace.

    "This way."

One of the men pushed the doors open, it was the palace gardens. In the near distance, she could see a boy who stood beside two swings that hung from a single tree branch.

Until she reached him, her head remained down and she focused on not falling.

    "Ah! Finally!" He exclaimed, catching her off guard as she jumped a little. "Leave us." He waved at the men and they begrudgingly complied.

She watched as they walked away, a lump forming in her throat. Why had she been left with a royal, of all people?

    "What? Is something wrong?" He asked, taking in her appearance.

    "Well, I," She paused. "Am I supposed to curtesy or something?"

Nikolai laughed and the sound alone caused her to smile. So he wasn't a stuck up as the rest.

"Saints," He began. "You're funnier that I thought you'd be."

For a moment there was a silence.

"And prettier."

Katarina felt her cheeks flush a deep red, thank all saints it was past sundown.

"Was there a reason for my rather dramatic exit, or does the idea of me being tormented by questions for the rest of the week amuse you?"

"Definitely the latter."

"Surprise, surprise."

"Sit," He gestured to the swings and Katarina did as he asked. "The real reason you're here is because you fascinate me, Katarina."

"Most people just call me Kat."

"I've been demoted to 'most people' now, have I?"

"What?" She squeaked in surprise. "No, no– That's not what I—"

"Katarina, it was a joke, don't worry."

"Right," She let out an airy laugh, her hands falling on to her lap. "I sometimes forget the people here have the ability to joke."

"What's that supposed to mean?" He gasped, feigning offence with a hand over his heart.

"Everyone's so stuck up! So serious. I feel like the King would have my head for smiling." She stopped for a moment. "Saints, no offence! That's your dad!"

"Unfortunately." He replied after a minute or two. "You don't have to be careful of what you say around me, Katarina. I'd much prefer the opposite."

    "You'd prefer me telling you how ridiculous you look in that outfit?"

    "Ridiculously handsome, maybe." He smiled at her. "But yes, you're the most normal person that I've met."

"You don't get out much, do you?" She looked at him, a smile on her lips as she watched him double over in laughter.

    "Will you make me a promise, Katarina?"

    "If you wish, Nikolai." She mocked him, watching as he stood up from the swing and stood beside hers.

    "Will you promise to always come to me when I call for you?"

She hesitated. Looking up from her hands, her eyes met his. His eyes were hazel, unlike the King's or the Queen's, and his golden blond hair had fallen out of the place and instead a strand or two had rested in front of his left eye.

"I can't, Kirigan, he—"

"Need I remind you that The General is not of my bloodline, or my taste."

Katarina resisted the urge to kiss him then and there. Instead she smiled at his words, where had he been hiding this entire time?

    "I promise."

He smiled, and as effortlessly as she ever could've imagined, his finger traced her face, pushing a piece of her hair behind her ear whilst doing it.

Nikolai leant forwards, his lips inches away from her ear. "Expect me."

As he walked away, Katarina chewed on her bottom lip, dazed and confused. Suddenly, being sixteen and in love wasn't the worst idea she'd ever had.

AUTHORS NOTE!
i really need to stop having all my oc's be in love with nikolai just because i am but... listen i started writing them and couldn't stop?? this is still a kaz fic lol, and kat & kaz will be endgame this isn't a love triangle or anything i just liked the idea of it :,)