(19) An Explanation

Maddox || Aurielle

I can explain.

I've heard that one before.

I know.

Just let me explain myself.

Explain yourself or justify yourself?

Look I know I'm guilty and that there's nothing to justify.

Alright.

Here's why I lied.

The personality that has been talking to you for a while now is the real me. The personality I have in real life is the fake me.

My dad works with the airline, so we move a lot. Everywhere we move to, I see a different set of characters. So what I do is change my character to fit in, because I'm afraid that they would hate the real me.

We moved here, and I had to take up the personality of an attention seeker. Riley and Addison were my sidekicks. The personality took a huge toll on me.

I said I don't keep friends because they all leave. I don't want to get too attached to anyone only to get hurt in the end.

I said Riley was my sister because I didn't want you to find out about the fake me.

I didn't lie to you, I lied to them. This app was my safe space. That's why I said I wouldn't be here if not for the lies.

The worst part was when I got the news that our stay here was most likely permanent.

I had to switch between personalities. I didn't know how I was going to explain to them that all this was a facade.

Someone saw my phone, and if anybody found out that I liked someone, they would go through any length to humiliate that person.

I didn't want you to be that person.

So when they would ask I would laugh it off saying bad things about you, and I'm terribly sorry for that.

I'm sorry, Maddox. For everything.

I don't know how to feel, or what to say, and I never thought I would say this, but I actually understand you. You placed hints everywhere you could.

You didn't clear up one thing though.

What's that?

You told me your full name is Elle. Why?

Because I don't like my name.

Aurielle literally means golden.

Exactly.

The name means everything I'm not.