𝟏𝟐 ɪɴɴᴏᴄᴇɴᴄᴇ

Kalina felt fearless as her feet rushed quickly down the small corridors of the old Latvian building

Kalina felt fearless as her feet rushed quickly down the small corridors of the old Latvian building. Quietly she thanked herself for wearing boots instead of heels, even though the option had been available and would have made her feel more at home. Each step jarred her shoulder more and she winced at the gunshot wound occasionally, but the adrenaline in her body filtered much of the pain.

She felt the tight grip of Helmut's hand on hers as they moved. He held his pistol closely, preparing to ambush anyone that crossed their path, especially if their name was Karli Morgenthau. There was no doubt in Kalina's mind that he would shoot the gun as soon as the opportunity arose, and she mentally prepared herself for the loud recoil that would resonate off the concrete walls.

Picking the locks of the handcuffs with her hair pin was easier than the woman had thought, and Helmut had guided her with clear instructions, allowing her to maneuver the pin instead of taking it on his own. The many years he had spent in EKO Scorpion allowed him to develop his tactical skills in the event of capture, but her helping hands certainly made escape easier. It invigorated him to immerse Kalina in the world he had kept her so shielded from in the past. He had always seen her as an equal, but this was different: now they were equal above all else.

John had decided that Sam's time negotiating was up, and stormed the building with his partner and Bucky at their tail attempting to stop the distraction, which left Helmut and Kalina to slip away from the group with ease. In hindsight, the fake Captain America should have never allowed Kalina to remain with the Sokovian criminal, but his mistakes were not her problem. As John aggressed the door and pushed past Bucky, the White Wolf made a discerning look toward the woman, as if to say 'keep him under control' as he chased after the American vigilantes. She had returned his gesture with a subtle nod, but she would do so in her own way.

As they moved, Helmut squeezed her hand tighter, hoping that he wasn't pulling her arm too much. His primary goal was to get the pair out of the building, and then out of Latvia. He hadn't expected to make his break so soon, but with his newly rekindled relationship with Kalina, he had purpose again. Of course, he would kill Karli on sight and any other Flag Smashers in their way, if given the chance. Helmut Zemo would never leave his work unfinished, but being the calculated man he was, he knew it did not have to be accomplished in that moment.

The only thing that mattered was getting out of the hands of the Avengers, the Dora Milaje, and going underground with Kalina. The rest would play out as needed when the timing was right, that he was certain of. He always ensured his plans were carried out with precision, and he would stop at nothing to rid the world of the super soldiers, starting with the Flag Smashers.

A door slammed shut as the Sokovians rounded a blind corner entering a new room. Stopping abruptly, Helmut let go of the woman's hand, and pushed lightly against her chest, telling her to stop. The sound of feet rushing down steps confirmed his suspicions, and he looked to Kalina with an acknowledgement, tightening the grip on his pistol as they remained hidden behind one of the large piping systems. The hand he held at her chest turned into a pointed finger, further indicating for her to wait behind the obstruction.