One More Night

Hong Chayoung kicked her heels off and shivered. It was a chilly night. Changing into her sweater, she cuddled up on her sofa, staring into space. She gently touched her lips, feeling the warmth of their passionate kiss earlier.

"He came back for me." She whispered.

Her heart almost dropped to the ground when she heard his low deep voice at the art gallery. For a split moment, she thought it was a friction of her imagination. Maybe she had missed him too much and heard his voice in her head.

But it was him, flashing his irresistible, charming smile at her. It was impossible to forget how good he looked in that dark blue suit. A great sense of nostalgia washed over her but she held herself, calm and graceful as always, until he kissed her.

"Idiot." She muttered suddenly.

She looked over to her father's altar. "Ah-boe-ji! Do you agree that Cenzo is an idiot? He travelled so many miles here and yet refused to spend more time with me."

She sighed. She knew the answer too well. Vincenzo is meticulous. He wanted to protect her.

"He drives me nuts!" She exclaimed in frustration. She missed him already. If there was anything that could make her feel better, it was makgeolli.

She set the table and put out two bowls and two bottles of makgeolli as usual. "Cassano-nim, I will make a toast to you. You are a man of your word."

When he left one year ago, she promised herself to stay strong. She focused on his mother's retrial court case and those related to the Guillotine File, when Mr An seeked her for legal advice.

She clinked the bowls together and said "Cheers! Your mother will be pleased with our victory today. Oh gosh!" She slapped her forehead. She had forgotten to fill him in with his mother's case. "Stupid Chayoung!"

If only Inzaghi and his friends would build a bridge for them to meet again. She laughed at herself and turned her bowl downwards. "He is Mafia. He will figure it out," she muttered, filling up her bowl with the delicious rice wine.

After a few drinks, she felt light-headed. "Vincenzo Cassano." She started. "Where are you now? Why did you have to leave so soon? I don't need you to protect me. I need you to—-" her eyes started tearing up as she choked. "—fight crime with me. Put the evil behind bars. Flick my forehead. Eat bungeo-ppang with me. Sweet potato and cider. Make ramyeon for me. I need you here." All her pent-all emotions came unleashed as she started sobbing. "Idiot."

Someone was knocking at the door. It was almost midnight. She groggily stood up and shouted "Go away! You are disturbing my peace." The knocks persisted.

"Aish".

She could not believed her eyes, when the door opened.

"Vincenzo Cassano!"

She ran into his arms and hugged him, knocking the wind out of them. He smiled and caressed her hair.

"I thought you have gone." She tightened her hug, intoxicated by his smell. He was wearing his black jacket and sweater, a bag on his other hand. "Are you okay? Why are you still here?" She looked at his clean shaven face, looking for answers.

He held her shoulder and smiled. "I came to have some ramyeon and makgeolli."

Her face brightened up and she pulled his arm. "Just in time!"

Vincenzo followed her, not before glancing the surroundings to see if anyone was tailing him.

He had been walking after he left her a few hours ago but no matter how much he tried walking away, he found himself going her direction.