-ii. welcome to hell

KALANI WAS sitting in the driver seat of a red Chevy Corvette, hands fixated on the steering wheel

KALANI WAS sitting in the driver seat of a red Chevy Corvette, hands fixated on the steering wheel. The car wasn't actually in motion, since they were on a freight train that was carrying a bunch of automobile carrier trains, with triple decks of cars inside. Nobody argued about who would drive this time, because everyone got their own car for the trip.

Thalia even hot wired the radio in a black Mercedes SLK so she could pick up the alt rock stations from D.C.

Kalani hummed along to it, tapping her fingers against the steering wheel quickly along to the rhythm of the song. The radio was playing the White Stripes. She was so immersed she almost didn't notice the Hunter passing by her car.

"Hey, Bianca," greeted Kalani, dramatically rolling down the windows— even though she didn't have to. She glanced at the young girl, who was standing in front of the car doors.

"I'm just looking at all the cars," Bianca said nervously. "They look so. . . Different."

Kalani patted the leather passenger seat. "Wanna sit with me? Riding out this whole train ride alone would suck."

Bianca smiled. "Sure." She hopped into the car seat and leaned back leisurely.

Kalani crossed her legs and met Bianca's gaze with a small smile. "You must've lived somewhere else, I guess." She gestured around the variety of cars in the freight.

"Yeah." Bianca shook her head. "I don't know. . . Everything seems so much more strange than it was when I lived with Nico, you know? Like the second I stepped out that hotel— everything changed. I don't know if I'll ever adjust."

Kalani frowned sympathetically. "You will, don't worry. Maybe it'll take some time, but you will," she assured the girl.

Bianca smiled. "Thanks, Kalani."

"Hey, of course." Kalani held out her hand. "High five?"

"What's that?" frowned Bianca.

"Like this." Kalani helped Bianca form her hand into a flat palm, fingers laced together, and then she brought it towards hers, gently slapping the two palms together. "Here. Now, this time, we do it from a distance and a little harder. Ready?"

Bianca nodded.

They high fived.

Bianca smiled, staring at her hand in slight confusion. "Cool," she said, eyes sparkling. "I love your bracelet." She nodded at the small homemade woven bracelet with beads in it wrapped around Kalani's wrist.

Kalani grinned. "Thanks. Me and my stepmom used to love making them together. If we survive this, and have some extra time apart from your Hunter duties, maybe I can help you make some of your own?"

"Really? You'd do that?" The Hunter beamed.

"Sure! I'd love to!" Kalani found herself somewhat looking at Bianca like she was her little sister. She'd never had siblings before, aside from Ethan, though they were only related by same godly parent. Kalani had never had siblings in her mortal household. It was just her and her dad.