The Devil's Welcome Drink

"Oof!"

Dust went up in a cloud as I faceplanted into the dry dirt. It clogged my throat, giving me a wheezing fit.

My visit to Earth was not off to a good start.

I heaved myself up, dusting off the shirt I had bought from what the humans called, 'Walmart'. My gaze came to settle on the soccer ball that had so audaciously knocked my head, which now laid at my feet, feigning innocence.

"Are you hurt?"

A young woman standing opposite to me gave me a worried glance, reaching out a hand in what I assumed was a helpful gesture. I wordlessly stared at her outstretched arm until she awkwardly drew it back.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to hit you in the head with the ball. I hope you're okay."

Oh, so she was the perpetrator?

The urge to scowl and snap at her pressed at my mind, but my predecessor's words came back to me.

Be nice to the humans. Many of them don't mean any harm. You don't want to go cause mayhem on your trip.

I rolled my eyes internally. It was unlike the retired Devil to be nice. Of course, his comment to 'take them back to Hell with you if you please' didn't exactly portray kindness. But, retirement was already making him forget about the eternity he spent torturing souls.

Turning back to the woman, I gave her a once-over. She really did seem sorry. Biting back harsh words, I give her my best smile.

"It's fine. It's really the soccer ball's fault, right?"

She gave a small chuckle as her hands grasped the ball. "I'm Rosa, by the way. It's a pleasure to meet you...?"

"Villa," I offered, giving her the nickname the demons gave me some hundred years ago.

"I'm sorry again." She shifted on her feet. "Are you here to visit High Park?"

I glanced to the green space on my right. "So that's what this place is called?"

Excitement flickers through her eyes. "Oh, are you new to Toronto?"

"Yeah, you could say that."

"This is perfect!"

My eyes narrowed with suspicion. "Perfect?"

"Let me take you to Tim Hortons to get you a welcome drink!"

"Who is this Tim Hortons?"

Rosa's jaw nearly hit the floor. "Okay, now I have to take you there."

Ten minutes later, we stood in a line while humans bustled around in what Rosa told me was, 'the best coffee shop in Canada.' Delicious smells wafted through the din of muffled voices all around.

Finally we got to the front, where Rosa gave an order for two Maple Cold Brews.

"Trust me, you'll love it."

And boy, did I.

The moment the smooth and velvety drink hit my tongue, my tastebuds flew into a fanatic frenzy.

"This is delicious," I whispered, awestruck.

"Told ya. Consider this your official welcome to Toronto."

I gave her a grin. "Thank you."

Looks like this visit wasn't going to be so bad after all.