Family Secrets

I woke up slowly. It took me a few moments for reality to fade back in around me. I clung on to those moments, the blissful oblivion of not knowing where I was, imagining I was curled up under the sheets at home.
It was the cold that tore me away from that reality. It bit into me through the blankets I had wrapped around me. The few parts of my body which were exposed to the air felt like a thin layer of ice had settled over them overnight. It never got that cold in Phoenix.
I lay in bed for a while, hoping I could fall back asleep, but feeling more awake the longer I remained there; more aware of the uncomfortable mattress underneath me, the emptiness room; and the unnatural silence which drew my attention to the lack of any familiar sounds of the city I was used to.
Finally, I pulled myself reluctantly out of bed. I stood up unsteadily, feeling stiff as I dragged my legs out of the blankets and off the bed, and biting back a yell as my injured foot hit the floor.
I took a long shower, trying to drain away the cold from my body, dressing in the warmest clothes I had brought with me. I hadn't believed my dad when he had claimed it would be this cold. I thought he was overreacting, buying me a small pile of jumpers and sweatshirts. I couldn't have imagined myself actually wearing them. I definitely could never have imagined myself wearing them as I limped down the stairs in the morning, having barely gotten out of bed.
I was greeted by my mother as I descended the stairs, awkwardly leaning on my good leg.
'Hi,' she said, 'Did you sleep well?'
'No', I said bluntly, then lied, 'I think the mattress has bugs.'
'Really?' I heard her say, sounding worried. 'I'm sorry, I'll go check it out. I thought I got rid of them.'
I continued down the stairs, barely noticing her response. My mom followed me as I headed for the kitchen.
'I cooked you breakfast,' she declared, as we entered. I smelled the rich aroma of pancakes as I walked in. I hadn't even noticed until I looked at the food that I hadn't eaten since the past midday.
I shrugged.
I sat down on the table. My mother pulled up a chair and sat beside me. I was already starting to tune out her voice, busy wondering how I was going to pass the next few torturously long days before school started, and whether it was too early to call my friends. I was already beginning to lose myself back in the same pit of depression I had found myself in ever since I arrived in the town. I knew how easy it would be to let those feelings completely overwhelm me.
I picked at my food. Despite my hunger, I couldn't find the enthusiasm to eat it. I had never really liked pancakes anyway.
My mom asked me if there was anything I wanted to do before school began. She told me she could drive me to one of the nearby towns if I wanted. The closest town that could actually be called any bigger than Vale's End was a few hours drive away. Then she started worrying about my leg and informed me I was going to see a doctor. I barely heard her.
'Who's Izabelle?', I asked abruptly. I had just remembered finding the locket from the previous night, and how it had caught my interest. I could not remember my mother ever mentioning a woman named Izabelle in the family, and I still couldn't remember where the locket, or the bag I had found it in, had come from.
My mothers head shot up, her face full of surprise. For the first time, I started to pay attention. I hadn't expected her to react to my question with any interest.
She took a few long moments to answer. 'Izabelle?', she finally repeated. She looked confused. 'Where did you hear that name?'
I shrugged. 'I found a locket somewhere that had her name on it.'
There was a long moment of silence before * answered my question. 'No, I don't know her. I don't believe we have an Izabelle in the family. And I think I would know if we did.' She paused. 'I suppose it probably belonged to someone in the family a few generations ago. Would you mind if I had a look at it? You've made me curious.'
There was a hint of something odd in her voice. I remembered the locket, and the picture of the girl within it.
She's lying, I thought. Why is she lying?
I was tempted to press further, but I wondered if there was any real point. I knew my mom had a lot of family history she didn't like to talk about. Why did I want to dig into it? What did it matter?
I stood up abruptly. 'I'm going out,' I declared.
'Seraphina, you need to get that ankle checked out first. It looks swollen.'
I sighed. 'Its just a sprained ankle, mum. I've had these a thousand times before. It will heal in a few days, maybe a week or something.'
'You're probably right, but it will heal quicker if you get it wrapped up -'
'I'm fine', I said, my voice harder. I glared at her, challenging her to argue. My mom looked away.
I expected * to protest more, but she just looked down and then nodded and gave me a sad smile.
'Okay, sweetheart. Please just don't come back too late, okay?'
'Whatever, Mom.' I grabbed my phone and headed for the door.