𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

Soulmates. In this universe, a term used to refer to people meant to unite. Romantic partners, with implication of an exclusive lifelong bond. A soulmate is said to be the strongest bond with another person, one can achieve. It has been said from the olden times, every person has a soulmate. No matter your status, personality, etc., they will have a feeling of deep affinity for you. Some also use this to bring solace to themselves, that there is someone in this world, who will love them. Sounds great, doesn't?

People say, after the age of 18, a person's life starts. Not because you become a legal adult, make your own money etc. It's because the gift said to be given by gods, string of fate appears. The red string that determines your love life. The string, only to be witnessed by two soulmates. You can only truly love the one you are fated with.

But, centuries ago, a fault appeared. Some people who followed their string, didn't truly love them. Why? Could the humans not even trust their god now? People would wonder. Similar incidents came to appear often. Some began to believe it to be a curse from gods. They'd say that gods were upset from the horrible deeds performed by humans.

This fault was rare. Approximately, 10 percent of people obtain this ill fate. Ill fate of receiving a false string, or multiple strings. There was no way to distinguish between which string which real or fake. This would cause conflicts. Or it would confuse them, which string is right?

Some tried cutting off the string. A stupid thing to do. Very stupid. That wasn't the right answer. Not the right way to escape. Rumour has it that such people get a few days of fortune. Days full of hope and happiness. A false hope. Only for it to be taken away in a brutal manner. You must never cut your red string of fate. Unless you are looking for some misfortune. Some even died as a result. Suicide was also often in such cases.

It is said that hope, which given after the string is cut, is an illusion. It doesn't really happen and optimistic thoughts fill your brain. But when reality hits you, more misfortune comes your way. Rushing. Like it was a hungry wild animal kept in cages, and when released, ran towards its prey. It is said that even a false string can cause such problems.

This is all the information Y/N knew. Was it true? She had no idea. Her mind was a muddled mess, as usual. She only knew a specific things, her name, concept of soulmates, and other common things taught till highschool level education. Parents? Relatives? Friends? She would laugh at that thought. They weren't for her. Such facilities for a low life don't exist. Trash only deserve trash. Isn't that right? That's what she was told. The only thing she was told. She hated it.

For her whole life, till she could remember, Y/N had been living in a room. Cold metallic walls surrounded her, a door at the corner of the room. No windows. One small tubelight, which would only lighten the small area around it. Perhaps the people who kept, no, trapped her didn't want to waste money on useless items. She was never starved. Well, not exactly. She would get a plain slice of bread and a bowl of vegetable curry, twice a day. Not enough for a woman in her twenties.

My life could've been worse, even more worse she'd reassure herself.

𝘼𝙪𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙧'𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙩𝙚 :  I did mention it before, but I'll say it again. I'm not a good writer, so I will be editing my chapters including the prologue a lot.