Jailboy Let Free

Nathan's POV
I had seen these hallways bare before, but never like this. Never in this specific way. All the prisoners except for me were released. Through the chained window, I saw dark clouds. Sooner or later there would be a rainstorm. This was my new life, I was guessing. Sitting in a jail cell, with rainy skies and loneliness. My only friend in the whole jail was air. There was no one here except for me and the single guard that watched over me. At least this is what I always thought. It was just my imagination, but after 9 and a half years of this, it became hard to see what was real and what was my imagination. I hear someone behind me clear their throat. I turn around. "Nathan", my least favorite guard says. His name was Benedict Riddle. Yes?", I say trying not to have an attitude. This guy was the least likely to Not kill someone. "Come with me", the Riddle orders. I get off the hard bed I had been sleeping on. He unlocks the prison cell after what seemed to be an eternity of moving the key. He opens the door.
I walk out. He quickly and swiftly grabs my hand so that I don't make a run for it. It wasn't like I was about to. I only had 6 months left in this dump. Benedict Riddle pulls me somewhere. I have to jog to keep up. After a couple minutes of running, he stops. I do too. As he takes out a key with his free hand, I see where he was taking me. Why in the world is he taking me to the infirmary?, my brain questions. Also, why is it locked?, my brain also asks. The guard puts the key in the lock and pulls me inside. Everyone in the room looks up, to see the newcomers. The guard pushes me onto a chair. One of the nurses comes over and begins to talk to the guard. I couldn't understand a word they were saying, after all, they were whispering. After a few more minutes of whispering, the nurse nods and comes over to me. She pulls something out of her bag and before I knew it, I had fainted.

***********************************

A couple weeks later...

I slowly open my eyes. Everything hurt. A guard passes by to make sure I was still here. I could tell that he was my favorite guard. His name was Murphy Harnold. We called him Murph though. "Nice to see you are awake", Murph greets me. "What happened?", I ask him. "Nothing really, you just fell asleep for a little while", Murph informs me. I nod my head. "What is the date?", I ask him. "August 19", he replies. "How long have I been out?", I ask him as I begin to get off the hard bed. "About two weeks", he replies. I look at him with wide eyes. "Two weeks", I mumble under my breath. "Two weeks", I say a little louder. "Two... weeks...", I say as if I were to be a football field away from the guard.  "Yes, Two weeks", Morph replies. I really couldn't believe it. It had felt like just another 8 hours of sleep. But two weeks...

How could I sleep that long without dying?  Benedict Riddle, suddenly crossed my mind. A whole bunch of new idea pop into mind at the new possibility. Could I get him fired for doing this? Maybe even more..., I wonder. Morph leaves. As soon as he does though, Riddle comes for a visit. "Hello Nathan", he greets me with a small grin painted on his face. "Hello Benedict",
I reply. I hear the sound of gunshots in the distance all of a sudden. Probably someone attempting to escape. "You are awa-", he starts, but then is cut off by shock. He falls to the floor with a loud thud. I look up from the spot he was laying, to see that another guard stood there holding a gun. It was the most protective guard on the prison. Her name was Rebel Brown. "Nathan, follow me.", she orders. I nod my head and follow her as she unlocks my cell door. She brings me to a different cell and locks me up in it. "This is your cell, until you are released.", she informs me. I nod my head and lay on the, what I thought to be, hard bed. It was surprisingly comfortable. I look underneath me to realize that the bed was covered with a small mattress. These next 5 and a half months are going to be great!, I think to myself.

Time skip 5 and a quarter months later...

I wake up on my comfortable bed. "Mail for Nathan", the prison mail-carrier says as he brings me a couple of letters. "Thank you!", I say. Instead of replying he calls for another prisoner. I sigh. I sit upright on my bed and open the first letter. It was from Gabe. This is what he wrote:

Dear Nathan,

I am sorry that this did not come on your birthday, but I would of been busy. I know your birthday is in a few days though, so happy early birthday! I can't wait to see you. It's been years. I miss you.

Love, Gabe

I take a deep breath trying to stop myself from crying. I miss Gabe and James and Preston and Moose and Shark and most of all, Y/N. I go to the next letter. As I open it I realize it is from real estate. "Uh - oh", I mutter. This is what It said:

To: Nathan/Unspeakable

Your house has been repossessed due to no one living in it and you not having the money to pay for it. Thank you for understanding.

- Houston Real Estate

I throw the letter in the trash. I place my pillow and put it over my head as I lay down. Today was going to be rough...

Chapter: 2
Word Count: 1012