Live Performance

The theater was slowly filling up with students and guests. Backstage, Kayla peeked through a tiny flap. She was drumming her fingers and bobbing her head, careful not to ruin her hair. Maxine sat beside her facing a mirror.

"We're going to perform live! We're going to perform live, out there!" she chanted to herself for the umpteenth time. The ogress was full of excitement. Maxine loved bright events that involved dancing or singing. She double-checked her eyes again, making sure her contacts were in place.

"Oh Kayla, are you excited?" Maxine was all smiles. "I'm sooo excited! Can you believe it? We're going to dance and sing songs onstage later!"

Kayla nodded absentmindedly. Truth be told, the fairy was much more nervous than the ogress. Kayla loved to perform and to dress herself up, but the dance she learned was hard. It was a bit tricky considering she had fairy wings.

"I'm not sure Maxine," she admitted. "What if I make a mistake while dancing?"

Maxine turned around and gave her hand a squeeze. "You'll do okay! I know how hard you've been practicing to perfect the moves. If you ever make a mistake, just continue and have fun! One mistake does not define you, Kayla."

Kayla's heart melted. Maxine always said the sweetest things. "Oh Maxine! You're right! I can do it!"

The ogress pumped a fist up. "That's the spirit! Let's do our best okay?" Kayla giggled and nodded. She didn't want weeks of practice to go to waste. She'll perform out there whatever it takes!

"Is this choker too much?" a boy asked. Ollie entered the dressing room as he tugged on the strings that dangled from his choker. The three of them were dressed up in unique-looking clothing, specially designed and made by Corden. The clothes were uncommon in everyday Enchantasia wear, but had a youthful and free feel around. It was their first time attempting to dress in these types of clothing.

"Hmm? It's fine," Maxine said as Ollie inspected himself in the mirror. "Corden said it adds to the look."

Maxine was wearing a black and white knee length dress with a sparkling hem. It was shaped in an elegant way, but still retained the juvenile freedom with one sleeve that was off the shoulder.

"We look cool wearing these," Kayla puffed out her chest. The resident fashionista had overseen the design process herself. White shirt sleeves, a denim crop top and shorts with puffy cuffs, and white knee-high boots was her ensemble, perfect for someone like her. To show how pleased she was, Kayla twirled around and struck a pose.

"You look cool in those," Ollie retorted, still adjusting the choker. Corden had said Ollie had a 'rugged and wild feel' and was decked out in a red checkered shirt, chain belt, black pants, and a lot of silver accessories. He looked taller, the pants giving an illusion of his fake height. And the hidden insoles he discreetly added inside his shoes. "This choker might get caught on something."

"Ollie, you're good at dancing," Kayla pointed out. "You'll find a way to navigate through those anyway." Ollie shrugged in response. He wasn't sure he'd always do a good job.

"Who's performing first?" Maxine asked.

"Um, me?" Kayla answered. "And after that is you."

"And after me is Gilly, speaking of, where is she?"

"Here." A voice said.

The three turned around. And gasped.

"Oh my!" Maxine exclaimed.

Gilly, the one who disliked performing, dressing up, putting on make-up, emerged in an ensemble that practically contradicted everything she stood for. Her hair was swept to the left, side-bangs swept to one side and purple strands scattered. She wore a sleeveless shirt with white buttons and chains, black shorts, and black (shocker!) boots. A black band was strapped to her biceps, adding a cool vibe to her look.