Past Life (1/3)

I sat there, listening to dream talking about his struggles and how badly his father had messed up and how they had no choice but to run from their home place and how they ended up getting on the bad side of this... group,
What did he call them again,
It was a gang,
It was something like "The Handgun Gang"
Which I had absolutely never heard about but was intrigued at learning about them. The name didn't sound appealing, and I could only imagine what kind of weapons they use, but I was still wondering how they managed to get mixed up with dream and his family, so I just kept listening...

"I was a kid" he began, "my mum had died in a car accident and my dad became depressed, I understood him and what he was going through even though I was young, he was my hero, but things weren't the same after she passed.." he stopped for a slight breath.

"We didn't know what they were doing, we were kids, we thought our parents were the best people in the world, oh how wrong we fucking were.. as it turned out, they were all doing drugs, after the death of my mum my dad just had nothing better to do, looking back now you could tell that something was clearly happening, but how were we supposed to know.. usually in these situations the cops would arrest them or fine them and they would pay their price, but as it turned out not only had they been doing drugs but they were stealing them as well, from the worst group of people out there, the Handgun Gang, all our parents were fucked up even if we didn't see it, they all had issues of their own..."

"Wait I'm sorry you keep saying "we" and "our" as in multiple people... were there more people?" I asked slowly not wanting to say the wrong thing.

"Well... yeah" he said slowly in response "I mean, I lived in a small town and was friends with most of the kids, about 7 of us just; every weekend we would go to a different one of our houses and our parents always seemed to stay a while as well, we never questioned it of course, it had to be odd though, they would all go into the basement for at least 2 hours and lock the doors so we couldn't go down. We never thought anything of it, again, we were like 10." He said his voice slightly breaking at the end of his sentence.

"Anyways" he continued "after about three years of this happening me and my friends started getting older and started wondering what our parents were doing..." his eyes looked glossy and ready to spill out,

"I wish to god we just stayed out of it" he said quietly, a single tear running down his cheek.

"One night, our curiosity got the better of us, after our parents left my friend Sapnap's house we decided that all 7 of us were old enough to know what our parents were doing, we were only 13 but we thought we were adults, we thought nothing could go wrong if we had more knowledge. That night after his parents went to bed we snuck down to their basement which began under their stairs, we grabbed torches and opened the small latch that pushed open the door, I remember the smell of alcohol and drugs hit us like a bus but we decided to keep going further..." he paused for a moment,

clearly this had been the moment that had the biggest impact on his life. I just sat there watching him prepare himself to tell the next part of the story, my heart aches for him, I felt like hugging him so tightly but I knew it wasn't the right time yet, so I just sat and continued listening.

"My friend bad, he kept telling us we shouldn't go down here, and that we should just leave it and move on, but we didn't listen to him, we should've listened to him but we didn't!!" He shouted tears streaming down his face.

I decided to get up and comfort him, I wrapped my arm around him as he sobbed into he shoulder, I felt horrible, what on earth could have happened to these kids. I just stayed silent, as much as I wanted to know more I couldn't ask, it would be insensitive. I grabbed him a glass of water as he calmed down a bit, we drank it and just looked over at me.

"I'm so sorry, I promise I will tell you what happened, I just think I need to l-lie down for awhile" dream told me.

"Of course, that's absolutely fine, don't feel pressured to tell me anything if you don't want to, and you can sleep in my room for a while again if you want to." I told him.

"Thank you" he said with a low raspy voice that made me blush ever so slightly, he noticed this and giggled as I turned my face away.

"Not the best time to be blushing George " he said in the same low voice that only made me blush harder, he chuckled watching me get distressed and then went upstairs.

At that moment millions of thoughts ran through my mind at thousands of miles per hour.

Why did I blush?
What happened to this man?
Why do none of these kids have real names?
Was he even telling the truth?
Do I have feelings for this guy?
Should I be worried?

The questions swarmed my mind for ages but I soon drifted off to sleep on the couch and didn't wake up again until 12:35pm that day.

Dream was ready to continue talking now...

976 words