Chapter 4 - The Face of Vader - Rewritten

What has Anakin gotten himself into now? The thought keeps replaying over and over in Ahsoka's head as she makes her way through the Star Destroyer on her way to find Rex. She has no idea what could be serious enough for him to take such drastic action. It's not a mission, at least not one from the Jedi or the Council, or he would have told her. What she can't figure out, is what it could be. She's admittedly worried about Anakin. He's not been himself, and Obi-Wan – she flinches inwardly on his name – is right about Anakin being impulsive. Please be safe, Skyguy, wherever you are.

It's serious, though, or he would have taken her with him. But what could he consider serious enough to leave her behind? She should be there with him. She can't lose him, not him too. Memories of holding Obi-Wan's body burn in her mind but she forces them back. No, she's here for Anakin. For Rex. For her brothers. She should be out there with him, wherever he is. He can't take care of himself right now. She wishes things would just return to normal, but there is no normal anymore. Not without – she cuts off the thought there. It will do no good to keep thinking of him.

Rex is, not surprisingly, expecting her when she enters his quarters. It's the first time she's seen him since before the funeral. "Hey, Rex." She doesn't try to manage a smile. She couldn't, even if she wanted to. All she wants to do is crawl into a corner and bawl her eyes out. Again.

"I heard about what happened," he says, expression unusually grave.

"Everyone has, hasn't they?" she sighs. She can feel tears pricking her eyes suddenly, and she desperately blinks them away, trying to ignore the aching pit of longing in her heart. She misses those days when she, Anakin, and Obi-Wan has time to relax and be themselves, be a family. "But there's more for you to hear."

"What is it?" Rex asks, almost warily.

"Anakin decided to fake his death and disappear so he can do something," she admits, "But he doesn't want anyone to know. He didn't tell me why," she hastily adds at the look of almost horror on Rex's face. The captain seems to be on the verge of freaking out.

"Why? Where?" he demands, standing jerkily. "He can't – We just lost General Kenobi. What was he thinking?"

It gratifies Ahsoka that she's not the only one who is stressed – and maybe a little panicked – over what Anakin might be doing. She can't – refuses – to lose him. "I wish we could have helped him," she mumbles miserably, knowing even as she says it, that if he thought it too dangerous for her, or even any of the clones, to help, whatever he's doing must be incredibly risky. Maybe it is for the best that she remains here.

Rex exhales, slumping back onto his bunk and patting the place beside him. She takes the invitation, sitting down next to him. "So do I, vod'ika," Rex murmurs so quietly that she only hears because of her enhanced hearing. "So do I."

His words send a jolt of warmth through her, and she smiles faintly. Anakin will be alright. He'll come back. He promised he would, and he always keeps his promises. Until he returns, at least she'll still have Rex, her... other brother. She likes the sound of that.

***

Serenno is interesting, different than Anakin had expected it to be. And he also hadn't expected to actually end up here one day, much less during the Clone Wars, and of his own free will. Dooku's residence is beautiful – not that Anakin ever intends to tell him so – and much of it reminds him of Varykino, where he and Padme married. Perhaps they will be able to end this war soon, so he can go back to her, go back home. He wants to move to Naboo, taking Ahsoka with them, of course, and try to find a way to just live.

The pain of Obi-Wan's death is still too close, too fresh, and being here in a new place is like a breath of fresh air. He's no longer surrounded by memories, and the distance gives him some time to recover himself, to let go of some of his grief and move on. Except, he'll never truly be able to move on, just like he never truly moved on from his mother's death. This – this was something far deeper and more cutting. He and Obi-Wan did almost everything together, and Anakin truthfully doesn't know how to function without him.