Epilogue - First Save

It was getting dark. Much too dark. Phoebus could barely see where she was placing her feet. She just hoped she was on the right path.

The trees seemed to press around her. Almost accusingly. It felt like they were trying to push her. At first Phoebus couldn't decide whether it was forward or backwards. Now she felt like it was just trying to push her down.

A bit of suffocated moonlight streamed through trees just ahead of her to show a crossroad. It was too dim to read the weather worn signs. Not that Phoebus had a destination anyway. The anger that had fueled her suddenly flickered out, replaced with despair.

She slowly sunk down and pulled both knees under her and pressed her face against her knees. Slowly the tears came. Phoebus was done fighting and allowed them to come.

Lyndee had been taught to fear the woods. They were scary and often the spirits that called them home were mischievous. Despite the stories she felt safe on this path. The trees around her were calm and forgiving. Sort of like a scary parent. Your friends are all scared of them but you know they wouldn't hurt a fly unless it's to protect you.

She held the lantern high and the shadows of the trees and shrubbery danced as she passed. Putting on a show just for her.

But then she heard a noise. Quiet and almost undetectable. Coming from ahead of her. She quickened her step towards it.

"Hello?" She called.

Phoebus looked up as a light appeared around the corner. An indistinguishable silhouette slowly shrunk as it's owner came closer.

The first thing Phoebus noticed about her was what looked like a large backpack on her back. Then her long pink hair that was braided to one side. She couldn't tell much else because of the harsh shadows the lamp cast on her face.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

The girl kneeling in front of Lyndee wiped the tears off her cheeks. "Yeah. Just a little lost."

The girl had dark brown hair large dark brown ram horns curling around her head. Her eyes were brown and pupils were slitted. One eyebrow twitched and Lyndee could tell she was trying to decide if she should trust her.

Lyndee held out her hand. "You and me both."

The girl took her hand and Lyndee pulled her to her feet. She stood a head taller than Lyndee.

"Should we go that way and try to find someone who does?"

Phoebus nodded. They started off on the opposite crossroad the girl with pink hair had come from.

She could now see a little clearer that the large backpack were actually wings tucked neatly behind the girl. They were large and grey, almost brushing the ground.

"I'm Lyndee, by the way."

"Phoebus."