Chapter 2 - Ghostly Guide

"Would you hurry up!?"

My feet continue to move through the forest, even though my companion has stopped to sniff around yet again. I glance back at the brown wolf and roll my eyes.

"I'm on two feet and I'm still faster than you," I tease. Just to get him moving faster, I jokingly mutter, "you call yourself a wolf?"

Wyatt growls and lunges at me, snapping his teeth at my ankle. My body absorbs the energy easily and I redirect it through my hands as I shove him away, causing his giant wolf form to go flying.

He shifts back to his natural form and glares at me.

"It's really not a fair fight when you use your gift," he grumbles. I roll my eyes and grab a pair of shorts from the bag on my back.

As I hurl the clothes at him I ask, "Are you saying that attacking me with your gargantuan wolf is fair?" He chuckles and steps into the shorts without responding.

"Cut me some slack, okay?" he asks, reaching out to help me carry some of our bags. "I think I can smell her."

"Well, then lead the way, wolf boy," I instruct, gesturing towards the vague path ahead.

Wyatt and I are traveling around the different nearby territories to find his soulmate. All I am, really, is a pack mule. This asshole has been romping around the terrain on all fours having the time of his life while I've been carrying the bags. He's lucky I know a levitation spell that lasts a good few hours.

We started by traveling south to the White Night Pack. From there, we've been working our way around the communities. We stopped in a couple vampire colonies and one other coven with no luck in finding Wyatt's mate. Our next stop is our first fairy frollick.

In my twenty-three years of life, I've never once wondered what life outside of my coven was like. Silver Pearl has a reputation for being a predominantly mage-filled community; while other species, like Wyatt's family, do live there, most members of my coven are pure-blood witches and wizards. I don't think I've ever met any fairies, though.

"What does she smell like?" I ask Wyatt as we walk. "Can you tell what she is? Is she a wolf?" He shakes his head and sniffs the air again.

"Not a wolf," he muses, "but maybe a fairy?" He sniffs again. "It's pretty faint. She hasn't been around here in a while," he adds, sounding a little disappointed. 

"Well, we are getting close to the frollick," I tell him, trying to keep his spirits up. "We should probably try to find a place to rest for the night, though."

We walk for maybe another hour through the trees, talking and bullshitting, before Wyatt perks up again. He tells me it smells a little weird and asks me to stay back while he checks it out. I don't object and he strips off his shorts before shifting and running off. As soon as he is out of sight, a familiar chill settles over my body and causes the hair on the back of my neck to stand up.