Unplanned Summer Trip

-Yuki POV-

I idly scrolled through Instagram while fixing myself a bowl of cereal. "Mom! #sweetsunset is trending for the fifth time this week, "I called out, hoping she would show some interest.

"That's cool, sweety! Do you know who's taking all these pictures?" My mom walked down the stairs, pulling her suitcase behind her.

"Yeah! Their profile is SunshineChild and they post a lot, "I paused to cast her suitcase a suspicious glance, "I'm not sure if it's a guy or a girl though...why do you have your suitcase?"

My mom lifted her head and smiled softly. "Honey, do you want to travel with me? I have to go to Myrtle Beach...we'll only be there for a month or so. Believe it or not, I have some work to do there. You might also find some people to hang out with there!"

She blinked at me hopefully. Normally, she'd leave me here and tell me to take care of the house for her. I guess it's different this summer. To be honest, I longed to get out the house, but I didn't have anyone to get out the house with.

I groaned in fake displeasure, "Ugh...I wish you had told me sooner...I have so many things planned this summer." I was sure to add emphasis on the 'so', although I never had anything planned. I burst out into a fit of giggles when she cocked her head in confusion.

"I'm just kidding! Of course I'll come with you! Do I pack now?" She nodded in response and I rushed up the stairs, excitement tingling in my skin.

I threw some clothes into my galaxy themed suitcase, humming happily. I packed my camera and picture album into a separate case before running down the stairs. "Alright, I'm done packing! Do want help loading stuff into the car?"

I yelped in surprise when a bag was hurled at me. "Come on! Hurry up! We're gonna miss the plane!" My mom shouted and I giggled, dragging my rolling suitcase and other bags along with me.

We loaded our stuff into the trunk of her car, both humming to our own song. I hopped into the passenger seat next to my mom, beaming as the soft rays of sun splashed on my face. "Let's go! Myrtle Beach, here we come!"

I shouted cheerfully as she started the car and drove off, leaving the house and my bowl of cereal discarded in the sink.

-Time Skip

We arrived at airport and I squealed when I saw Taehyung staring aimlessly out one of the large windows. "TaeTae! Hey!" I called out and he whipped around, surprise alight in his gaze. "Yuki! Hey baby! I didn't think you would come here!"

He wrapped his arms around me, his scent engulfing me along with his embrace. Baby is his nickname for me, and he usually called me baby all the time. He gave me a small peck on the forehead and I ruffled his hair.

"Hi Mrs. Las! What brings you guys here?" Tae tilted his head, his brown strawberry scented hair moving slightly as he regarded my mother.

"We're here for another business trip. We're going to South Carolina-" My mom started and I cut her off eagerly. "-DO YOU WANNA COME?! IT'S BEEN SOOOOO LONG! I MISSED YOU!" I shouted, ignoring the glares of anger shot in my direction.

Tae blinked thoughtfully, his dark chocolate eyes sparkling with uncertainty. "I-I don't know, Yuki...you know my parents were mad last time I came with you." He stuttered softly, tears now welling up in his eyes.

"B-but your parents don't even..." I trailed off cautiously, the cloud of emotion in the air stopping me. Tae looked down at me with an apologetic glance before sighing, "I know...they don't care. But last thing I want right now is for them to get mad at you again. It's not your fault."

"You barely go home, Taehyung. It's dangerous for you to be here alone with only a packed suitcase and enough money for food." My mom retorted and Tae flinched.

Hearing it so straight-forward hurts, doesn't it? I thought, pity piercing my heart. My heart then sank down to my feet, a burning feeling of shame washing over me. You never should've brought it up, Yuki.

Tae choked on his tears for a moment and he turned away from us. "W-would that really be okay...? You guys do too much for me..." I heard him mumble, tears thick in his voice.

"Of course it's okay, sweetie. We're here for you." My mom spoke gently, holding out an extra plane ticket. We treated him like a member of our family, since he had no one else to go to. At least, not here.

Tae wiped his eyes vigorously, stifling new tears. "T-thank you so much, Mrs. Las. You too, Yuki. I love you guys..." He looked up from his hands, eyes glittery with thankfulness and gratitude.

"You're welcome, sweetie. Now, only problem is we'll be gone much longer than we usually are. A month or maybe longer. Is that okay?" My mom said and this statement made Tae hesitate.

"A-A month? I-I..." He paused and glanced back at his suitcase that was sitting by the window, looking oddly out of place. "Yes. That's okay. I wanna come. I'm not giving out now."

A fierce determination burned in his eyes now, causing the tears to practically evaporate from his gaze. "Flight 713, your plane is ready. Flight 713 will be departing in 15 minutes. I repeat, Flying 713, your plane is ready," the announcement rang through the airport and seemed to ricochet along the walls.

"That's us! Come on Tae! Get your suitcase! We're going!" My mom shouted, urging me and Tae to hurry. Tae grabbed his suitcase and my hand before whispering in my ear, "Thanks, baby. I owe you one, seriously..."

"You're welcome and don't worry about it. This is what friends are for." I whispered back happily.

But for some reason, that 'baby' seemed to have more emotion to it. And it felt as if...

...I had responded to it wrong.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoyed this chapter 😁💜
Feeling good today...don't forget to eat more butter, ARMY!