Prologue

Clarke curses under her breath, curses her inability to finish artwork on time, having to stay behind to finish her portfolio piece. In this whirlwind of a thunderstorm, her umbrella practically does nothing because of how the wind whips the raindrops right back around. Her sneakers are soaked through. She looks up at the sky, and that's when she sees and hears it, the lightning coming straight down at her. She knows she's going to die.

Clarke barely has time to register the twenty seconds that she is falling before she lands with an oomph. She slowly opens her eyes to see a large grand hall sprawled out before her, and a line of people on their knees in medieval clothing. She registers the warmth she is pressed up against last. Clarke turns her head the other way to see kohl lined piercingly green eyes that are starting to narrow. A crown of black and a gear with a shining red ruby smack in the middle sat on her head. Oh shit. She has landed in their ruler's lap.

Thunder claps outside once, twice, three times, and then in a low tone that was somehow more menacing than any scream could be, the woman says, "What. Is. This?"

The people in the room rush forward in apologies, "It is our fault my Queen, please spare us." They look like they're about to piss their pants in fear.

The Queen all but ignores them and waves her hand, to which a staff that had previously been resting on a stand nearby snaps to her hand. Magic? Is that even possible? Well, if this crazy dream she was having before she died from lightning had medieval people and a beautiful queen, why not have her be a magical one too?

Clarke is levitated and dropped to the floor unceremoniously with the same magic.

-0-

Every day that Clarke attempts to demand answers she gets no answers. The first day Clarke is pushed out by a soft wind. The second day Lexa's eyes narrow (she learns her name from all the guys screaming, "Queen Lexa have mercy!") and she blows a hole through the wall of the throne room, which is about twenty something stories up in the sky and shoves one of the prisoners out the hole. "This'll be you next if you don't stop bugging me." Spoiler alert, Clarke does not stop because she wants to know how the heck she ended up here, because by now Clarke has accepted that this is too long to be a dream. Why not ask the magical woman?

Clarke has to admit that the Queen had her charms. She was mysterious to say the least, and beautiful. She couldn't help but wonder if Lexa was as tough as she pretended to be.

Clarke gets her answer a week in when she turns around the corner to go bug Lexa in the throne room again, and instead sees two....fireballs? No. They were flaming human cannonballs that smashed into the stone wall across from the entrance of the throne room. Lexa steps out, a sad expression on her face. With a wave of her hand the fire enveloping the bodies immediately extinguish. It leaves charred unrecognizable corpses. She kneels down and murmurs, "Yu gonplei ste odon." Clarke has no idea what these foreign words mean but they sound like a prayer of sorts.

Clarke steps forward, not bothering to mask the echo of her shoes on the stones. Lexa looks up like a deer caught in headlights. "The infamous sorceress Queen has feelings."

Lexa grimaces and looks back at the bodies, "Everyone can be turned into a monster when put into the right situation."

"What's your situation?" Clarke asks as she plops down on the floor next to her.

"I'm the Sorceress Queen. I could never have become the Queen if I'm not strong", Lexa huffs indignantly and gets up, brushing off her long coat and calling for the guards to "clean up this eyesore". The damage is done though, because Clarke now understands there is so much more depth to this woman who once seemed like a cruel ruler.