The Generals

Summary: Starting from this chapter, it goes into depth on the events of the first chapter, and fills in on the missing pieces.

Author's Note: I got four people telling me that I should give this more chapters. I've been intending to, but the reality is that I'm already updating four other fanfictions so any extra projects take a while.

And because this was originally supposed to be a clexaweek oneshot.

Clarke is levitated and dropped to the floor unceremoniously by the Queen's magic. The Queen doesn't even look as she waves her hands and with a shimmer of the air, summons a wand that she starts playing with as if she has done it a thousand times in her life.

"I have better things to do. MAYA!" A girl with a kind face scurries through the entrance as if she had been waiting outside for exactly that call. Clarke wonders if she actually was. "Bring her to a room for now until I have a use for her",the Queen orders dismissively, as if she is a nuisance.

Offended, Clarke frowns. She has an urge to shoot up to her feet and tell off the woman, but one look at the surly face and she wasn't quite so sure it was a good idea anymore. So instead, she followed Maya out, who was speed walking so fast out of the throne room, she might have been able to beat a cheetah.

Maya smiles at her kindly and shyly as she leads her up winding corridors and circular stone staircases until they finally reach a room with an arched door. "Here we are. If you need anything just ask, the staff is plenty friendly around here",she says, tucking her hair behind her ear in a way that even Clarke has to admit is sweet. It's as if Maya knows just how inhospitable the person she is serving is. Briefly, Clarke wonders why they even serve her if they aren't brainwashed and know exactly how mean the Queen was. Perhaps out of fear?

Clarke waves a goodbye to Maya before entering the room. Not ten seconds Clarke closes the door behind her, Maya's voice flows through, talking to a man. "You're going to get the Queen's candles again?" her voice is filled with pity and perhaps a bit of amusement.

The man heaves an audible sigh, "Yes. My back is already crying for help." Clarke's eyebrows raise in concern as she listens through the door in this unexpected but intriguing conversation about her host. What type of monstrous candles did she need that would hurt the poor guy's back? Were they some sort of giant voodoo candles?

"Well, have fun",Maya answers pleasantly. Clarke was starting to learn that just about nothing could make Maya snap. She seemed to always radiate gentleness.

"I won't", the man deadpans in response before footsteps can be heard retreating down the hallway.

-0-

Lexa's five generals stare back at her blankly. Some stare as if she's grown herself a second head with a magical potion. In hindsight, perhaps that is more likely than the idea of a human dropping out of thin air into her lap.

"If none of you are going to be helpful, at least tell me how she managed to get through all of you and just waltz into the throne room?!"she roars, baring her teeth as if she's going to bite off their heads. The throne room was supposed to be the most secure part of the castle, but a random girl with seemingly no redeemable skills was able to surpass the finest generals of all of the lands (Lexa had hand-picked each and every one of them herself).

Roan has the guts to shrug as he files his nails, barely glancing up at Lexa. "Is this about Clarke? I just don't see the point of fighting her when I've lost already." He seems disinterested in the most intriguing way.

Lexa scrutinizes him. Although his physical prowess should mean that he could've easily beaten Clarke, it was very possible that within the time between yesterday and this morning, Clarke had outwitted him with her brains and beat him while he was training. A man like Roan would most definitely not want to get embarrassed again.