Chapter 70

Theon
Thaddeus Mallister allowed Theon to keep his horse, though his hands remained knotted together by an old fraying rope that itched so much it drove Theon mad. Each night, when they stopped to rest, Thad tied his prisoner to a tree and poured wine down his throat.

Some nights, Theon slept. When he did, though, he was oft haunted by nightmares that shook him to his core—so he preferred to stay awake. It gave him more time to consider the decision he had made: should he have gone back to his ship and sailed straight home to warn Asha of what was coming? Maybe—though he could not say for sure what was coming, nor could he forgive himself for returning without a midwife to help Sansa.

It was on his fourth night as Thad's captive that Theon heard a voice in the night. Thad was snoring loudly several feet from Theon's tree, and he did not stir at the sound that was almost certainly a girl's voice.

Theon was so deprived of sleep that he imagined it was someone calling out to him, shouting in some whispered voice that they would help. It didn't make sense—Theon didn't need help. At least he didn't think he did. Still, the voice said again that it was there to help.

A hand touched his skin, and Theon realized it was not his imagination. He threw his elbow back, hoping that it would strike his attacker in the darkness, but instead the blow was caught. Theon turned over his shoulder, where he found Waldron Snow holding tight to the arm that was meant for his jaw. Beside him was Meera Reed, eyes glittering.

"Seven hells," Theon whispered. "What are you doing here? How did you find me?"

"We followed you," Meera replied in a hushed tone. Fortunately, Thad did not stir. "A rider came to Greywater. He heard you say your name to some burly fellow on a horse." She nodded at the Mallister across from them.

Waldron started to untie the ropes that bound Theon to his tree, but Theon stopped him. Waldron, frustrated, snapped, "You were supposed to stay on the Iron Islands."

"I know," Theon sighed. "You know I would never return unless it was my only choice."

Waldron's jaw tightened and he grabbed Theon by the shoulder. "Did something happen to the Stark girls?" he muttered, but Theon shook his head.

"They're safe," he promised the Reeds.

Meera was unconvinced. "Then why are you here?"

Theon had once named Meera Reed the Starks' truest friend in all of Westeros. He needed her now more than ever. "Lady Sansa," Theon began, "she's with child."

Both Waldron and Meera gawked at him, so stricken with confusion that neither could respond. Theon wasted no time.

"You have to return to Saltspear in my stead," he instructed. "Find a midwife you trust, put her on my ship, and tell my crew to return to Pyke immediately."

Meera did not understand. "We can set you free and go back with you."

"No," Theon snapped, almost too loudly. "I need to speak with Robb. It's why I told this fucker who I was—so that he would send a raven asking Robb to meet us on the Kingsroad. Winterfell is too far. I have to get home to Sansa."

"Then come with us," Meera pressed, reaching for the ropes that secured him.

Theon shook her away. "Your father went to Winterfell," he reminded them. "Do you know why?"

Waldron and Meera exchanged a glance. "The Lannisters are coming," Waldron remarked.

"They're not coming here," Theon breathed. "They'll let the Boltons do their work in the North, and their army—their real army—will sail to the Iron Islands for Sansa Stark. It's the only way they can convince the North their intentions are true."

Theon saw Meera gulp. "Do you think they know it wasn't real?" she asked.

"I don't know," Theon replied, "and that's why I need Robb. I need to know what to tell my sister on Pyke so that we can be ready for them." He paused and looked to them pleadingly. "You have to send a midwife back for Sansa. Please."

Theon wanted nothing more than to be with her again, to hold her hand when she ached, to touch her stomach where the baby grew. It would be so easy for Waldron and Meera to untie him and help him back to his ship so he could return to the wife he loved so much.

No, Theon reminded himself. If we enter into a conflict with the Lannisters blind, the Ironborn will be crushed. There was no other way.

"What if your crew doesn't believe us?" Waldron asked. "If we go back there and say you've been willingly taken hostage, they'll think we're mad."

Theon considered it a moment. "They know why we're here," he remembered. "If you bring them a midwife and tell them that the Lannisters are coming for us, they will understand why I have to stay." He wriggled his hands to his side pocket, where he had slipped the kraken brooch from Sansa. "Give them this," he commanded. "They know what it means to me—I would only ever give it up willingly or if I was dead. Whichever they believe, they will know to sail home."

Meera took the silver kraken from his fingers, hesitant. "How will you get back?" she asked, some sort of sadness creeping into her voice.

"I'll find a ship," Theon assured her. "Robb will bring coin when he rides to meet me, I've no doubt." He nodded to indicate that he meant it and then added, "Nothing will keep me from returning to Sansa—you have to believe that."

Waldron put his hand on Meera's shoulder, an assurance in the dark night. "You trust your men?" he asked Theon, who could only shrug.

"I trust them more than most," he replied, because it was all he had.

Meera started to rise, but Theon saw that his words bothered her. She and Waldron must have ridden for days to find him, and here he was turning them away.

Waldron rose, too. "If they come for the Iron Islands," he began, "I will make sure we are at their backs. The Reeds will protect the Greyjoys and the Starks until our house no longer stands." Waldron Snow clapped Theon's shoulder. "You have my word," he promised.

Theon knew that he meant it.