A Day Before

The sun was blessing today with it's beautiful stunning smile. Clouds took a vacation along with the rain. Birds sang their hearts out never once going off pitch. Trees stood there waving at each other while shaking what Mother Nature blessed them this spring season.

Grass danced along with the wind, following the rhythm of the songs playing on a radio nearby. Kids grabbed their bicycles riding around the neighborhood to the park with their friends. Women gossiped about recipes and who will be volunteering this year for the schools annual bake sale. Men mowing the lawn, taking pride in their garden's. Radios playing music and a good baseball game.

Saturdays were filled with freedom and excitement. After a long week of working hard, everyone was looking forward to the weekend.

Colorful outfits and houses, the small town never felt gloomy. Town folks helped one another in any possible way, so when the town was having its annual spring festival, helping hands were everywhere.

Business owners volunteering to take care of suppling the town with its decorations and food. Three weeks from now would be the day the town will gather around and have the time of their lives.

From games to auctions, the town just relieves themselves of any stress they dealt with through the year. This years festival was very special, Sarah Rogers and Winnifred Barnes kids were coming back from war.

The boys were finally returning after years of fighting America's battles. Last time anyone saw the two best friends, Steve Rogers was getting beat up in the back of an alleyway as Bucky Barnes kicked the mans butt.

Steve Rogers. A kind creative boy who was passionate and talented in the arts. His paintings were one of kind, always being the first ones to be sold at the auctions. Dirty blonde hair that shimmered in the sun, beautiful sky blue eyes that had hints of sea green hidden in its depth. Many kids picked on him for his size, he was short skinny boy who could be a toothpick for Halloween. Those kids may have been his enemies but no one tops the cake besides his health. Poor Steve had so many health issues that the school didn't even offer him PE for a grade.

Bucky Barnes. A charming overprotective boy who would go to the end of the line for his best friend. When you let him out to the dance floor there was no stopping him. Ladies would line up just to get one dance with him. Brown short combed back hair that was always being slicked back after a couple swing dances, baby blue eyes that held so much emotion in them. Bucky was a protector, a friend, a counselor representative for Steve. Always trying to knock some sense into his friend, punching people back to back for him, taking care of Steve while Sarah was off buying Steve's medication. Bucky was a lover and not a fighter but for his friend he would do anything.

Tomorrow the young lads will be returning to the town. They left when they were merely 17 years old, they must be at least 24 by now. Seven years fighting and they didn't bother to write every month to their mothers. Both of them were going to get an aggressive long scolder from their mothers for worrying them.

Charlotte Taylor. A girl who was the closest Steve Rogers ever had to a girlfriend. Kindergarten on Valentine's Day, a little six year old girl sat on a swing holding a homemade card. Little red hearts drawn across the cover along with pink flowers. She got off the swing and walked across the playground to where two boy sat on the sidewalk playing army. Her pigtails bouncing with every step, she made sure to tell her momma to add two bows that matched her brand new dress that her grandma made her. A pretty red skirt dress with white polka dots all over and a white top that had puffy short sleeves.

Smiling big and approaching the blonde boy with a blush forming on her face.

"Hi Stevie." She said with her cute soft voice, trying her best to talk without spitting since she lost some of her baby teeth.

"Hi cha- rllote." He too had a speech problem, hearing him say her name brought little butterflies in her stomach.

"H- Happy walentines day stevie." Handing him the homemade card causing a dark red blush to appear on both his and hers faces. Bucky just sat there wondering if they were still going to army.

Steve opened the card and saw his initials and hers together with a plus sign in a heart. There were two stick figures holding hands with eyes turned into hearts.

"Thank you char- llet, I wuv it." He smiled up at her with his two baby front teeth missing, a giggle erupted from the girl. She squatted down and kissed his cheek, running quickly to the swing set. Steve touched his cheek where she kissed him smiling as she run away, her two brown wavy pigtails moving side to side. How those beautiful forest green eyes made an impact on him.

"So when's the wedding?" Steve looked at Bucky completely forgetting he was there.

"Bucky don't be silly.......I think I have to pro- pose hirst, I fhink that's what ma told me." Bucky having to wipe off some spit from his blue shirt after Steve's spitting fest. Steve looked down at his hands holding one of the army men in embarrassment.

"Do you think I should propose to Mrs. Smith?" Bucky asked changing the subject while Steve lined up the toys.

"Bucky she's our teacher, you are six and she is married." Steve responded back to his friend's stupid question.

"Yeah well.....when I'm older I'm going to marry her." Bucky promised Steve.

"Okay." Both of them continued to play army till recess was over. That was one of the few times Steve and Charlotte ever talked to each other again.

Comment and vote for next chapter :)