The Fight

Vera wanted to hold on to her smile. She wanted to be the wife Victor longed to have, but some days it seemed impossible, days he insulted her and made her feel like less of a woman than he deserved.

She suppressed the emotions brought on by his often cruel words. Instead of bursting into tears, she placed her sadness in an invisible box inside of her soul, hoping it would help to ease the pain.

What good would it do to cry? Especially in front of him. Showing weakness would only make him resent her. Everything would be fine if she kept up the charade of being a happy and dutiful wife.

At least, that's what she thought-until one fateful night when he came home after what he said was another long shift at work.  His jet black hair was disheveled, his shirt was halfway unbuttoned and reeked of cheap liquor and perfume.  His lips were stained with the dark lipgloss of another woman.

The box inside of Vera overflowed.  She'd spent the entire night waiting up for him, just for the chance to spend a few extra minutes with him.  This was her reward, realizing her worst fear had come true.

The glass of milk in her hand fell to the floor.

Her husband smirked at her.  "Clumsy girl."

She kneeled down to pick up the pieces. 

She could feel his eyes burning into her.

"What's the matter with you?"  He slurred, leaning his hand against the wall to support himself.

"Where were you tonight?"  She never looked up at him, just kept picking up pieces of glass.

"Where do you think I was?"

"I hope you were working."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

She tossed the pieces of glass into the trash can under the kitchen sink. "Well, you've been working late for the last three months. And now you come home smelling like the bottom of a whiskey bottle and cheap perfume." Her eyes finally landed on his and she asked, "Are you having an affair, Victor?"

"An affair? Don't make me laugh."

"I don't think it's very funny."

"Oh, but it is.  Because you're insane if you think I'd ever look at another woman."

The smirk on his face, his nonchalant tone; they were enough to send her over the edge.  She shoved him backward and screamed, "Tell me the truth!!"

"Fine.  You want to hear the truth?"  His smile dimmed and he took hold of her wrists, "The truth is, I'm sick of this marriage.  There's no excitement because you've turned into a damn zombie."

That was all Vera needed to hear. Her head slumped down and she chewed on her bottom lip to keep her emotions from showing. How could he have done something so selfish? She changed the course of her entire life to be with him. 

This was the ultimate betrayal. 

She would never forgive him.

"Sometimes men need to spice things up to be happy," He ruffled his large hand in her hair like she was a child, "Besides, it won't hurt if I get a little lovin' on the side," He placed his other hand between her thighs, "I'll still take care of you."

"Don't touch me!!"  She pulled herself away from him. "How could you do this!? You're a pig!!"

The amusement faded from Victor's face, replaced with cool rage.  "Oh, Vera," He raised his hand above his head and brought it down on her cheek. 

She held her burning cheek, her mouth flinging open by his rough touch.  "You swore," She said, refusing to cry.  "You would never hit me again."

"It's your own fault, babe," He shook the pain out of his hand and took hold of her face.  "You know better than to talk to me that way."

"I've been a good wife to you, Victor."  Her voice was barely above a whisper, "You have a hot meal on the table every morning when you wake up, and every evening when you get off of work.  I clean your house, I make love to you whenever you want it, I pay all of the bills-"

"You don't pay a cent. That's my money."

"No, it's our money."

That warranted another slap to the face, one so hard that it sent her to the floor.  He hoisted her up by her arms and shook her.  "Have you forgotten how you're supposed to talk to me!?  I'm the man of the house, and you will not talk back to me!"

Suddenly, everything that he had done to her came flooding back to Vera's mind.  She realized that she had thrown away her life for a man who had been treating her like shit since the day they met. 

The rage caused her to do something foolish.

She spit in his face.

Victor dropped her back to the floor. He pulled a handkerchief from his shirt pocket and calmly used it to wipe his face. "You shouldn't have done that."

"Victor," She backed away from him, terrified of the consequences she would face. It was the first time in months she feared him. "I'm sorry. I-"

Before she could finish her fear laced apology, he yanked her up again and shoved the handkerchief so far in her mouth it scratched her throat.  "You think I'm going to let you get away with that?"  He snorted and hocked a huge loogie on her cheek, using his hand to rub it in her skin.  "Disgusting, isn't it!? How do you like it, you gross bitch?"

Vera violently gagged from the horrid sensation of his spit and snot being rubbed into her face.  Despite how much she tried to fight it, her eyes swelled with tears.  She tried to plead with him to let her go, but the handkerchief prevented her. 

He threw her back on the floor.  "You're lucky I don't kill you for that.  I will not tolerate such disrespect. Do you understand me?"

She reached to take the handkerchief out.

"Leave it in.  If you want to resort to spitting on me, you can suffer the consequences.  And let this be a lesson to you, my dear.  You're only here to be seen, not heard. I have only one use for that mouth."

She threw her hands over her face, sobbing.

Victor smirked.  "Don't try me again, or you'll get way worse next time.  Now, get up and go to bed."

Vera scrambled to her feet and allowed him to pull her into the bedroom.  Her happiness was taken from her all over again.  And she couldn't get out.