The Other Side of Paradise

"I want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the games. Last year was child's play. This year you're dealing with all experienced killers."

"Alright. What does that mean for us?"

"That means you're gonna have to have some allies."

"Okay. I think that i-"

"Woah, you're not the problem."

"No."

"Look, you're starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years."

"That just puts us higher on their kill list."

 "Do it your own way, but I know these people. You go it alone, their first move is gonna be to hunt you down. Both of you."

"Katniss, come on."

"How could any of us even trust each other?"

"It's not about trust, it's about staying alive."

"Cashmere and Gloss, brother and sister, District 1. They won back to back games. Capitol favourites. Lots of sponsors. They will be lethal. And the other half of the career pack? Brutus and Enobaria."

"What's with her teeth?"

"She had them filed into fangs so she could rip people throats out."

"She's committed, I'll give her that."

"Wiress and Beetee. Not fighters but brilliant and weird. Real tech-savvy. He won his games by electrocuting six tributes at once. The Morphlings. Masters of camouflage. Basically won their games by hiding until everyone else was dead. Self-medicating ever since, which I applaud. Not a threat."

"Finnick Odair, right?"

"Yes, he won his games at fourteen. Youngest ever. Extremely humble."

"You're kidding?"

"Yes, I'm kidding. He's a peacock, a total preener. But he's the Capitol darling, they love him here. Charming, smart and very skilled in combat, especially in water."

"What about weaknesses?"

"One; Mags, the female tribute. Mags was his mentor and basically raised him, if he's trying to protect her in any way it exposes him."

"A guy like that has to know she's not gonna make it, and when it really comes down to it he won't protect her."

"Well, Katniss, I just hope when she goes, she goes quickly. She's actually, um...a wonderful lady."

"You said one, is there a two?"

"Yes, actually a perfect transition to the next district. District Eight, the girl is Sol Xu Bin."