Chapter 19

All my limbs start to shake uncontrollably as I approach the park entrance. My bike starts to wobble through it, almost causing me to fall. With difficulty I manage to keep myself upright and turn off onto the paved cycle path.

It's actually ridiculous that I feel so nervous about myself. After all, Dyre is there waiting for me, wherever she may be. She knows Evil as well as Finn, so she certainly knows what we can do about it. But when I think about the true reason for that dark presence, I feel the sick feeling increase in my body.

What the hell am I carrying with me? Is it something that is on the outside or on the inside? How does Evil, unknown to me, know for sure if I am really that special? And more importantly, what underlying reasons could it have for wanting to find and maybe kill me through that special one thing?

That thought brings tears to my eyes again. I bravely blink them, as I've been doing since I got Finn's terrifying call. I messed up the test, I'm 100 percent sure. I tried hard to concentrate on it because I insisted on getting a pass, despite everything. But once the paper was in front of me, the words and letters danced across the paper, forming strange new sentences that I couldn't decipher. That's why I just wrote down some random answers, hoping to get something good out of it.

When I finally turned it in, I felt even more desperate than I already was because I knew what to expect. Grab the bike and go to the agreed place as quickly as possible, it couldn't be simpler. Of course, Amy didn't understand why I didn't cycle home with her, as always. I brushed her off with a flimsy excuse. Something about homework and helping my Mom with an assignment for her new job. Thank goodness she believed me and did not elaborate on it. I saw her eyes shine as she cycled towards the centre, and I immediately knew who she was going to call. Thank you, Jim. Glad you diverted her attention from me for a moment.

There is the white entrance gate. I'm here. I let out a deep breath as I get off my bike which I push against the gate and lock it. If Dyre comes with me, we will walk towards the forest on foot. After all, she knows a lot of secret routes that lead to that so-called gathering place of the Shadows. At least, I assume that. Just as I assume we will come back here later. And if not, it's just bad luck when that old black bike is stolen from me. Anything better than dying from something you don't know what it is exactly.

I put my bicycle key in my pocket and walk through the gate in the direction of the trees. It is quiet in the park. In the distance two people are sitting on a bench, but no one else has come up with the idea to take a walk. Good. I couldn't have done better.

Now the question is, how am I ever going to find Dyre here? The park is not overly large, but there are many trees, so it is easy to overlook a she-wolf like her.

Then I suddenly think about what Finn said yesterday. He felt some sort of electrical conduction when he met Dyre for the second time in the park. That indicated a connection between two Shadows. So suppose I'm also a Human-Wolf ... then that should mean I feel that conduction too when I see Dyre somewhere.

Despite all my fear and nerves, I still have to laugh a little at that thought. There is no better way to track down my new friend. On the one hand, it is a beautiful new built-in navigation system, and on the other hand, it is also a great opportunity to test myself. See if I really am a Shadow, as Finn thinks. If not, then I don't have to scare myself all the time. Then Evil has nothing to do with me.

With utmost concentration I scan the trees along the path, looking for Dyre. She may be gray, but the sun is still shining for this time of year, so I should be able to see her easily.

It takes a few minutes for that to actually happen. And even then she's almost invisible. I see a glimpse of her gray fur looming between the bushes and when I look closer, I also see one of her beautiful brown eyes. At the same time, I feel something strange forming inside my body. It starts in my feet and spreads upwards until it reaches my brain and out through my ears, toward the bushes where Dyre sits. Some kind of positive attraction, it seems. As if my whole body consists only of a current, which exerts its influence on the creature sitting there.