Chapter 29

It seems like ever since I started dating a Fierri, my life has been filled with obstacle after obstacle. I've faced obstacles that I never thought I'd ever have to face in my boring life.

There was a time when my biggest worries were bills and the cafe. Now it's wondering who the Russians will attack next? Who will we say our goodbyes to next? One of the Fierri brothers? Me? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

My bed is cold and empty the next morning. Marcellius and I went to sleep last night in silence. He just held me close. There was no conversation or anything like that. Maybe we should've talked about what happened last night. I had silently cried to myself in the middle of the night.

It had nothing to do with me not being pregnant, and everything to do with Dante. He was in my dreams last night. That day has been playing on an endless loop both when I'm awake and when I'm asleep. It doesn't matter if my eyes are open or closed. All I see is Dante.

I've wondered how Cesare is handling it. They were practically brothers. You would've thought they're triplets with how much he spends with Luciano and Cesare. I'm concerned for Cesare.

He has a really bad drinking problem. He doesn't think he does, but he does. Dante's death will just be another reason for him to drink, and Cesare doesn't need that in his life right now. He should be able to mourn his friend sober.

Rolling over so I'm facing away from the window, I sigh. Running my fingers over where Marcellius slept, I decide it's time I stop lounging around and see what everyone's up to.

Getting up and out of bed, I rummage through the dresser drawer and pull out a long black t-shirt. Slipping it over my head, I tug it down my body. Being as Marcellius is much bigger than I am, so the shirt is more of a dress than a shirt at all. It fits snug on my body, Marcellius' manly scent filling my nose.

I check my appearance in the bathroom mirror. My curls are all over the place. And truthfully, it looked like a hot ass mess. I looked like I just stepped off a plantation in the 1800s. I'm about to fix my hair when there's a sudden loud crash, followed by someone shouting at the top of their lungs.

"This is bullshit!" I rush out of the room and towards all the chaos. It's Cesare. He's drunk. I scan the scene. There's a shattered dark blue vase on the ground. Something gray and sandy has spilled out of the vase. 

My eyes widen as realization washes over me. It's not a vase, but an urn. It's Dante's ashes. I can't if Cesare threw it or dropped it.

Everyone's watching him with a concerned look on their face. Cesare collapses to his knees, tears rolling down his cheeks. He drops his head into his hands, the painful sobs of hurt, anger, and sadness pouring out of him in a wave of emotion.

He seemed to have no reaction that night when he came to pick me up. I thought maybe he was like Marcellius, who rather hide from his emotions than face them. But he was far from that. He looked like a little boy, vulnerable and completely exposed.

Luciano attempts to comfort his brother, but is rejected. Mama Fierri is standing next to Selene, tears also rolling down her cheeks. She can feel the pain emanating from her son. We all can.

It's like a strong gust of wind that knocks you down. A magnetic field with a strong gravitational pull. It's like nothing I've ever seen or experienced before.

The faint sound of a door opening and closing fills my ears. Marcellius appears, brushing past me to reach his little brother. He's wearing a navy blue sleeveless sweatshirt and a pair of matching shorts. 

He's just come back from his morning workout. His muscles flex, the sweat on his arms and forehead glistening in the light.

He doesn't bother to learn what happened while he was gone. He already knows as if he predicted it would happen. Kneeling down in front of his brother, he grabs him and pulls him into his arms.

Cesare breaks down even more, sounds of grief filling the silence. There's that dead silence again..haunting us. It lurks like a shadow of darkness, destroying any light it can get it's grubby hands on.

"Lascia perdere tutto fratello (let it all out brother)." Cesare accepts his brother's embrace, sobbing and snotting into his sweatshirt. Marcellius rubs his back gently whispering, "I got you."

Marcellius was usually shooing Cesare away like a pest. But not here. I was truly amazed at the familial bond between these four brothers.

Marcellius cradles him close, Cesare melting into the warmth of his brother's embrace. From the way Cesare seems to just be consumed by the comfort of his brother, I can see now that this isn't the first time.

The first time that Marcellius or any of his brothers have had to hold him like this. Although a twin, he truly was the baby of the group.

"How many more of our people have to die?" Cesare asks Marcellius, looking up at him. You can tell in his eyes that he's had enough. There's no more laughing or joking coming from Cesare. He pleads with his blue eyes, hoping that his brother will be the hero, the savior, that he's always viewed him as.

"Don't worry fratello(brother). Their deaths will not be in vain." He wipes at Cesare's tears before motioning for Niccolo. "Get some rest, yeah?" Cesare nods. He stands to his feet, allowing his other brother Niccolo to lead him back to his room.

Marcellius stands to his feet, ushering Aloi to salvage Dante's ashes. Niccolo returns, joining Luciano and the other Mafia members. Marcellius turns to face his members, a look of pure rage behind those dominant brown eyes.

Me, Mama Fierri, and Selene watched Marcellius, his back turned to us. He removes his sweatshirt, revealing the Fierri Mafia tattoo on the left pectoral of his chest.

He rakes his fingers over the tattooed cross. "fino al giorno della mia morte. Until the day I die." Everyone repeats after him with a nod of agreement. "This.ends.today!"