Part 2

Roman returns to the WWE with a vengeance. After six months away from in-ring competition, he looks like a tank and is wrecking opponents with the same frightening devastation. More shockingly, Paul fucking Heyman is in his corner. In the space of two weeks, he wins the Universal Championship. This is rather troubling, even more so when Jey is crowned the number one contender for the title the very next Smackdown. The timing of all of this is very worrying, and Skye discloses her fears to Jey. But he laughs it off.

"Relax, S. It ain't nothing; So what if he looks like he's been eating buildings for lunch," he says sarcastically. "It's familiar territory, girl; it'll be just like when we were kids."

"If I recall the stories, Roman whooped your ass even back then," she retorts, wondering why he's not taking this seriously. "The stakes are much higher now, Jey. This is not a fucking game anymore."

The humor vanishes from his features, and he narrows his eyes accusingly. "You think I don't know that? Or do you think I can't beat him? Which one is it, huh?"

"Neither! That's not what I meant."

"Don't get it twisted, S. I'm ready," he adds. "I've dreamed about this moment my entire career. This is the biggest opportunity I've ever had. And now that it's here, ain't nothing gonna stop me."

Chastened, shrugs her shoulders and shifts her weight from one foot to the other. "I get it. I just don't want you to get hurt."

Studying her apprehensive features, Jey sighs and tugs her hand, pulling her close. "Come here, baby." He brushes her lips softly with his, if only to calm her down. It works, and he smiles when she leans into him as they kiss. "Do you know how beautiful you are?" he murmurs between kisses, his voice filled with awe. "I can just look at you all day and not do nothin' else, for real."

Skye's face warms under the heat of his gaze, turning her insides to a puddle of goo

Skye's face warms under the heat of his gaze, turning her insides to a puddle of goo. He never hesitates to compliment her every chance he gets, and it makes her fall harder for him. "Aww, stop. You're beautiful, too," she assures him, caressing his bearded cheek.

"I'm serious. I feel so blessed to have you by my side, and I love that you're worried about me," he goes on. "But I'll be fine. I'm made of stronger shit. I got this, alright? I've never felt more confident in my life."

He's so pumped to be in this spot, to be getting a chance to prove himself in the main event scene, that she can't bring herself to say any more. But she can't shake off the nagging dread that's settled in the pit of her stomach, and she doesn't know what to do.

---------------

A week later, Roman and Jey are in the middle of the ring, selling their upcoming match at Clash of Champions. This is the first time they're meeting face to face in months, and it's all the younger Samoan can do not to lunge at his cousin. The memory of Skye's tears, and her sobs as she cried herself to sleep, are burned in his brain, and deep down Jey wants to hurt Roman for causing her so much pain. The fans would eat up their interaction and the trash talk, but the words are real; the tension in their voices is very real, and he knows Roman knows it. As they head backstage afterwards, Jey does his best to distance himself before he does or says something he will regret.