Hear My Royal Cries / Till My Vocal Cords Rip

Be with me alwaystake any formdrive me mad! Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! It is unutterable! I can not live without my life! I can not live without my soul!

Emily Brontë / Wuthering Heights

HEAR MY ROYAL CRIES!(   ❝ you can talk to horses

(   you can talk to horses.    )
TILL YOUR VOCAL CORDS RIP!
(   that's not the same thing as madness! ❞   )

━━ ELISA BARDALES had lived a pretty ... abnormal life. ( Although abnormal didn't feel like a strong enough word to describe what she's experienced in all her fourteen years of lifeperhaps "mind-boggling" would work better. ) There wasn't one moment in time when she felt like a regular kid. It felt as if something was hanging over her head, a constant warning for her to be careful. Perhaps it was a sense of impending dooma sharp jab in the back of her mind, as if she knew something was coming.

Or maybe she was just a kid with an overactive imagination trying to get by with a loveless mother and an absent father. That's what her teachers always said, at least.

But it never felt that way. It felt like there was more to Elisa, more than anyone knew. Or maybe that was her desperate need to become something talking again.

If she hadn't been so used to it, it'd probably have driven Elisa insane. But maybe she already was. Her classmates swore that she was.

And traveling across the countrytwice, actuallyboth for stupid reasons Elisa doesn't even want to talk about. Then to top it all offmeeting Percy Jackson, the "savior of Olympus" ( notice the quotation marks, please ). Elisa wasn't sure how much she believed that considering just how scrawny and socially inept the boy was.

Whoever was watching over Elisa seemed to enjoy watching her suffer. The son of Poseidon seemed to never catch a break, and that included everyone who associatedwillingly or notthemselves with him. Which is why Elisa planned on staying far, far away from the boy.

She didn't know whoor whatwas warning her, but they had never led her wrong beforebesides meeting Percy Jackson, they really did her dirty with that. Hopefully, they wouldn't now. Especially when she needed it most. ( Traveling by yourself across the country with no means of help was not easy, trust Elisa, she would know all too well. )