sixteen

Spring High Tournament was approaching

Spring High Tournament was approaching. Hence, the practice time increased for the team. Everyone was doing their best to polish their skills to prevent the small mistakes, that happened back in Inter High, from happening again.

The other day, Y/N had met the missing Aoba Johsai player, about whom she had heard a lot from Oikawa and Yahaba. Kyotani was scary and unapproachable at first for her. But soon, they got along fairly. So, now he would listen to Iwaizumi and Y/N only, leaving Oikawa whining about how he is the captain and 'Mad-dog chan' never listens to him.

Y/N walked upto to the water taps to fill the bottles for the team. Indistinct choruses of 'One  Touch' and 'Nice recieve' could be heard in the background.

Humming a tune, she skipped along the way to the gymnasium. Her gaze was fixed on her steps with the water bottles blocking her view. She was busy in her own world when she collided with someone. She stumbled a few steps back and all the bottles fell down.

"Ah Y/N-chan.. Sorry.."

He started helping her to oick the bottles. They both reached out to pick the last one which caused his hand to hold hers. Her heart started beating rapidly. He hastily retracted his hand muttering an apology before standing up along with her.

That's when Iwaizumi's words from the last evening echoed in her mind.

"It'll be difficult L/N... Just remember. I don't want to see you both suffering."

She decided brushed off his comment and reminded herself that she has to give up on her feelings for it's pointless to love someone who isn't destined to be her.

The warmth of his hand lingered and she could feel the butterflies in her stomach.

Yet it did hurt her time to time.

No words were needed to be exchanged. They had the sort of mutual understanding. So, both of them knew what the other wanted. And it was for the best.

They didn't need to dwell on their feelings. Their soulmate was there somewhere in the world waiting for them.

Oikawa respected her feelings and decided to form a line between them which they would never cross. He would interact with her just as a friend and a fellow club mate. Nothing less, nothing more.

They could not completely cut their ties.

Y/N stared at the chalkboard which was filled with formulas and graphs of physics. The bored monotonous voice of the teacher was putting the students into sleep. One could see the droopy eyes of some students while some had their heads bobbing up and down trying to stay awake.

Her hands were busy in drawing loops and curls while doodling on her notebook. The doddles were either of volleyballs or clouds with smiles. Her eyes stared at her indicolite colored pen.

She could remember the time when Oikawa had given her the pen because she found it pretty and aesthetic. She mindlessly spin the pen between her fingers. Her face had a visible frown on it.

She sighed and put that pen in her bag and brought out another one because these small things were obstacles in her decision of giving up her feelings for the captain.

Oikawa was at the library, working on an assignment which was due next day. Collecting the required books, he took a seat on the desk beside the window. He remembered the place from back when he helped her with her maths assignment and in return he enjoyed her company.

Unlike that day, the sky was clear and blue. The sunrays kissed his face and he sighed in content, enjoying the warmth. He opened the book and flipped the pages to get the content. After an hour of jotting down the useful contents, he stretched his arms and cracked his knuckles.

His eyes stared out of the window as the wind rustled the trees and the leaves danced in the sky. The sound of laughter and cheers caught his attention and he leaned towards the window to look down at the playground where a class was having their PT period.

"Kunimi!!!!"

A familiar sound reached his ears. It didn't have the usual upbeat and cheerful tone in it. It was irritated and frustrated one. He spotted the blue headed manager of his smacking Kunimi's arm in irritation which he assumed was the latter's fault. He must've said something salty to tease her.

An amused chuckle escaped him as he stared at the first years. One moment she would be annoyed at them and the other she would be laughing and cheering with them. He watched as the gym teacher clapped his hands to catch the attention of the class. It seemed as they were to run laps which led to many groans erupt from the class.

She began running with Kindaichi and Kunimi but soon, slowed down her speed because of the latter not having much stamina. They visibly flinched when the teacher scolded them to increase their speed.

A little later, his eyebrows furrowed in worry as she tripped over her step and kissed the ground. The teacher walked up to her shaking his head in exasperation because she was clumsy as always. A few of her classmates gathered around her as Kindaichi helped her sit up.

From the incident, he concluded that in her world, it was only Kunimi and Kindaichi with whom she would freely bond along with some of the boys. She would only exchange a words or few with the girls.

"Oikawa."

A deep and stern voice interrupted him. He looked up to watch as his best friend sat acroos him. Oikawa blinked a few times before sitting upright.

"What happened Iwa-chan?"

"You were late for the class. I was searching for you." Iwaizumi replied before glancing at the book and a notebook on the desk. Oikawa was confused but then, checked his watch only to find out that he was late for his class by 30 minutes.

When did the time went by, he didn't know.

"What were doing here?"

"Completing the assignment..," He answered and flipped the pages of the notebook to prove himself.

"It should've taken an hour but what were doing for these 30 minutes? Staring at L/N?" Iwaizumi raised an eyebrow at his friend who blushed a little before burying his face in his arms.

Iwaizumi stared out of the window staring the first years. His eyes locked with blue ones. She sent him an excited wave making him grin. He waved back before turning back to his friend. Oikawa was watching their interaction. He sighed and rubbed his face with his hands in frustration.

"...Iwa-chan...... It hurts so much...," He murmered. His voice was muffled but Iwaizumi could sense the hurt and sadness stirred in it. His eyes softened which Oikawa would describe as something that happens once in a blue moon.

"It really hurts now..."

»»————- ★ - ★ ————-««

A/N :- how's this book? It's cringey, right!