Loss of Soulmate

SPOILERS ALERT!!!

A Xu! A Xu! If I confess to you now, you can't say I lie to you, right? You're the leader of the Window of Heaven. You should have been experienced and astute, but why do you believe whatever I say? I'm sorry. You intended to cheat me as well. I've just lied to you for this once. It can't be counted as a major demerit. The one surviving will be the most painful. You are my senior, please allow me.

---------

When Zhou Zi Shu opened his eyes, the first thing he saw with his full restored sense of vision was Wen Ke Xing's suddenly-turned-white hair... and that he was unconscious!

Right after that, the first thing he felt with his full recovered tactile sense was Lao Wen's hands loosening pressure on his and starting to slide down. Zhou Zi Shu grasped Wen Ke Xing's hands in time and held them tightly. He starred at his close friend and called his name:

- Lao Wen!

No answer. Could it be...? No, of course not!

Zhou Zi Shu didn't know why Lao Wen's hair had turned white, but now that he thought about it, he realized he has been so naïve! How could he not have imagined the dangers of a Qi transfer procedure? How could he not have imagined its consequences to the assistant of the Combined Six Cultivation Power? How could he have let him do this?!

Suddenly, Wen Ke Xing's body lost the last bit of balance and started falling down, so Zhou Zi Shu rushed to hold him in order to prevent him from hitting the floor. He then hugged his best friend so tight that he almost could feel his heartbeat against his chest. But Zhou Zi Shu felt nothing. He thought maybe it was because of his own accelerated heartbeat, so he loosened the hug and held Wen Ke Xing's wrist in his fingers. Still nothing.

No! It can't be!

Maybe some of his senses aren't still full recovered and he can't feel it right. Maybe his new senses are playing a trick on him! After all, he had suffered from senses loss for so long now, that he got used to it. Now they were back, it was possible for him to interpret things wrongly, wasn't it?

- Lao Wen!

He called Wen Ke Xing once more, in the silly hope he would just wake up and tell him it was another of his tricks, just another fake death. This time Zhou Zi Shu wouldn't be mad at Lao Wen. Not so long ago, when he was deceived by Wen Ke Xing's plot, he couldn't bear to be mad at him for so long, even if he deserved it. But now Zhou Zi Shu wished he was being deceived again. He just wanted Lao Wen to wake up and smile at him, and call him "A Xu" for a thousandth time.

But Wen Ke Xing didn't smile and didn't called him "A Xu". He didn't wake up.

It's not happening! It can't be happening!

- Lao Wen, why did you save me at the cost of your life? If you're not by my side, what can I live for?

Zhou Zi Shu hugged Wen Ke Xing tighter, his face hidden on the shoulder of his dear soulmate, and cried.

Note:

Dear mountain people,
after watching the official finale of 山河令 / Word of Honor I was so shocked and sad that I couldn't sleep that night. Even after I found out there was actually a happy ending version, I still couldn't get rid of the feelings I had experienced, so I decided to write a short continuation of that final scene, which I have found very beautiful despite of the sadness. I see this text as a writing exercise more than an alternative storyline. Like most of us, I also prefer the happy ending.