Rookie Mistake.

Song mentioned in chapter will be placed in multimedia above.

1997

Allen

"You nervous?" My mama questions me from the other end of the phone

I look around the busy locker room, taking in the changes. After many trials and tribulations I've finally made it to the NBA. However, no one warned me about the politics that came with the success.

"Somewhat."

"You have no reason to be. Everything you've worked hard for has led you to this moment and many more to come. So show up and show out."

About three months before I graduated from high school, I made the mistake of turning down every offer that was presented to me. My head was focused on heading straight to the league but God had other plans for me.

The setback caused me to beg for my scholarships back but after turning my back to them, no one wanted to deal with me. I felt hopeless until Georgetown reached out to give me another chance. After spending a full year breaking records and winning awards, I was declared for the NBA draft as the league's top prospect.

I was the number one overall pick for the Philadelphia 76ers. A team my father has loved for decades. It was meant to be.

Now my life is moving at a fast pace but I'm enjoying every second of it. I don't have as much free time I would like to have but I'm not complaining. I knew the sacrifices I would have to make once I got here.

"How's everything else been lately?"

I shake my head as if she could see me.

"Everyone been giving me a hard time since I'm the rookie but I'm holding my own."

"Do I need to come there and talk to The Commissioner?"

I chuckle a little while responding.

"Nah ma I'm good, I don't need any help. Plus that'll be embarrassing."

"Iverson let's go! Got some reporters out here that wants to meet you." Our head coach reminds me before walking away.

"Look ma I gotta go I'll talk to you later."

"Okay good luck, I love you!"

Ending the call, I placed my phone into my bag and headed toward the door.