~~Chapter 1 - Ari~~

The basement was darker than I remembered. The lights didnt work and the furnace looked like a death trap.

Why did everything look scary in the dark?

I took another step towards the back door. The banging was definitely coming from there.
I had to open it to see what it was but the doubts at the back of my mind were holding me back. It was midnight and that was not a safe time  to be walking around, especially in the middle of the Fall.

Holding the gun firmly, I opened the door...

It was a child. A little girl. She looked about 8 and was begging for food. She kept looking around nervously at something I could not see. Again, she looked up at me with those big, pleading eyes. Those eyes would stay with me in my nightmares.
Keeping my gaze on her, I lifted my gun. Without hesitation, I shot her in the forehead.

Once.

Twice.

Three times, just to make sure she was dead.

I looked down at her dead body and sure enough, I had been right.
Her body was growing and contorting into a whole new shape entirely. In a matter of seconds, the pleading girl was gone, replaced with a dead, spindly shadow.

Something in a bush nearby moved and I heard a twig snap.

"Dass!"

This was a pack hunting. I closed the door as fast as possible as multiple spindly, spider-like figures hurled themselves towards me.

The door closed with a click and a bang and I quickly bolted it.

Dass! I can't believe I almost fell for that!

I should've been smarter than that and not even opened the door. The spiders now knew where I lived. I had to get out of here.