s e v e n

The weeks trickle away, busied by the most menial tasks

The weeks trickle away, busied by the most menial tasks. Having recovered from my ailment, Kade teaches me of the chores that must be undertaken, and I do so with little convincing, deciding it will shows just how deeply grateful I am for his hospitality, and the protection he still offers me. I wash the clothes we share; I dice the meat and vegetables for dinner; I dust and tidy the cabin we both reside in. To begin with, he aids me. However, I find that I much prefer to do it alone, considering Kade seems rather exhausted most of the time following his early morning hunts and regular intervals to skim the treelines, checking for things that seem unusual, in any sense. Like Hegemony officers looking for me, perhaps.

At first, he seemed reluctant to allow me to do the cabin chores alone, but he eventually conceded, seeing that I gain quite the thrill from such trivial errands, especially since he offers me a congratulatory grin each time that I complete something perfectly, one that sets my heart stuttering. Of course, he knows I have never had to do anything like this before, and I'm sure it would not be a far stretch to assume he finds my gleeful reactions rather amusing.

Perhaps the most difficult change to my newly settled lifestyle, was Kade trying to convince me to finally find comfort in stepping beyond the safe timber walls of the cabin, if not for anything more than fresh air. The notion terrified me, knowing that anyone could be lingering within the treeline, but Kade joined me for the first few days, encouraged me to enjoy the last slips of sunshine before it disappeared entirely for the winter season and now, I don't feel at all anxious as I trim the tree branch with our wet clothes.

The day is brisk, but not as cold as it has been, and so I am dressed only in one of Kade's large shirts, taking the opportunity to wash and dry the pants I have worn continuously, and I don't haste in admitting are beginning to smell, despite my regular bathes. Kade is away this morning, hunting again I assume, and I have taken an oath to ensure the daily chores are completed before he returns, simply because I would enjoy to spend some time with him.

To say we have lived with one another for nearly three weeks now, it seems ridiculous to admit that Kade and I haven't spoken much, past the small exchanges over meals and moments when we cross paths. It is something that has begun to bother me, simply because I am intrigued. I desire to know why he saved me that day, despite my less than charming first impression, and why he lives alone in the woods. That stacks a plethora of questions in itself – does he have a family, a wife or partner?

The latter, I doubt, or perhaps he is simply a rather flirtatious character, that enjoys the feeling of success he reaps after watching a woman blush when he has said something in a sultry octave. Still, I am curious to understand why I feel the erratic beat of my heart about my chest when our eyes meet. Or if he falls breathless when our skin touches too, no matter how briefly. Or if he finds himself nervous as I watch him, as I do when I catch him watching me.

That – watching me – is something I have come to notice he does often, usually in the evenings when he has returned to the cabin and the pair of us eat together. It does not make me uncomfortable, however, not like how it did when Hernan rested his eyes upon me, simply for the reason that he does not watch me in a lewd way, but perhaps more curiously. He watches me move, potter about the cabin as I try to tidy, because living in squalor has never been much my style. His eyes stay trained on me as I hum the tunes to songs I don't know, not ever deterring when I make it plainly obvious that I see him. He just grins lazily, bringing forth his dimple, and I can only blush in response.